STOPTIMER node removed from Node Red 12; 5yrs+ since last update; Should I even be using it as I am?; Alternatives?

No there was a lot more than that removed.

node-red-contrib-alexa-home-skill
node-red-contrib-looptimer
node-red-contrib-statistics
node-red-contrib-stoptimer
node-red-contrib-timecheck
node-red-contrib-traffic
node-red-node-geofence
node-red-node-msgpack
node-red-node-sentiment

gosh, why?!!
I use stoptimer extensively (one of the most if not THE most used function in my flows): now I am stuck to version 11 unless I want to modify them (and have to spend time learning about different functions).

I guess I cannot complain because it all comes for free but still the question remains: why bothering with deleting standard functions?

Read the thread before you just go posting nonsense. Nothing you complain about itā€™s correct.

sorry, what is not correct?
That I have to read 83 posts to fix something that wasnā€™t broken?

@esdcmc ,If you would have read it, you would know youā€™re not stuck, but just have to add the missing manuallyā€¦
The solution is there already!!
(happy reading :wink:)

thanks for taking the time to reply.
Iā€™ve been browsing the Internet and scrolled through this thread but still I cannot understand how to save a node locally and then retrieve it once it disappears from library.
All I can find is an explanation on how to export a partcular node from a flow to a json file but then what? what am I supposed to do with it?

@esdcmc This is not about a node, but a node typeā€¦

With last node-red update, some types where removed, as apparently devs figured they where not needed. Due to these missing types, flows using this type stopped working.

The solution to re-add the missing types is to add them manually to the node-red configā€¦

Others suggested to change the loop-timer-node by a trigger-node

Thanks for the tip on this node ā€˜typeā€™ thing.
I need to figure out how to ā€œre-add the missing types to the node-red configā€ as I never had to deal with it (I do create subflows and keep them for my own purposes but never managed a personal library of nodes).

Changing the node to a different one is not an option since I will have to figure out the functionality (does it perform strictly the same action?) and then replace it in tens and tens of places across my node reds flows.

They really struck me hard with this one, as all my house control (lights, switches, thermostats, everything) is built using time delays and all the time delays are stoptimers.

@esdcmc - Check your PM. (Ti ho mandato istruzioni complete)

Just open the addon config, and type

node-red-contrib-stoptimer

to add itā€¦

The regular version of node red allows you to install these nodes through the palette manager right through the UI. Iā€™m not running the addon version but does that allow you to install them the same way? If one did, would the installed palette ā€œpersistā€ through updates or does it have to be spelled out in the addon config to have it ā€œstickā€?

https://nodered.org/docs/user-guide/editor/palette/manager#installing-nodes

Also it seems many arenā€™t aware of these optional nodes (thereā€™s currently 3922) and just stick to the stock installed nodes. The search in the palette manager allows you to find them and then click the little up arrow pointing to the top right to go to the webpage that fully explains the options. There are a lot of useful ones.

1 Like

@mwav3 I used that method to restore stoptimer and then got rid of it by replacing all instances with the much better timer node. I did not know of the other method to add nodes until it was posted on this threadā€¦ good to have options. I guess the other method restores it before starting everything up so nothing fails? Anyway, it really was not a big issue once I realized I simply had to add it back.

As for using other nodes from the 3000+ collectionā€¦ I sometimes search but unless I see recent signs of maintenance I am a bit reluctant to depend on them. I have already run into cases where support was dropped and nodes were forked requiring work to migrate. Being a noobie at NR, I dread it. Thankfully I can count on forum posters such as yourself always helping others :slight_smile:

Then the change shouldnā€™t affect you.

Yes. Add-on version provides the palette too. However this way you cannot install/replace built-in
nodes (provided by the add-on package).
Answering the second question: nodes installed by a user do survive the update. The update just removes these nodes from a set composed into addon package.

Missing stoptimer in a couple of my flows still broke ALL of my flows for some reason. You can reinstall stoptimer from the repos and all should come back online.

I didnā€™t realize I had auto updates on and this got pushed last week while I was on vacation (Go figure lol)

My poor dog sitter called me in a panic as none of my light automations were working. I just re installed the stop timer for now and will look at the alternatives when I get more time.

Iā€™ve read several claims in this thread that itā€™s supposedly so easy just to reinstall the missing nodes.
Well, in my experience it ainā€™t all unicorns and rainbows.

When I tried to reinstall traffic and stoptimer from palette manager after the upgrade both threw a BADENGINE error, that they needed Node 12-14, but current version was 16, i.e. reinstall failed. Nobody seems to mention this snafu.

Iā€™ve made a permanent habit of never auto-updating anything and snaps hotting my VM running my HA core instance before upgrading any of the important bits, node-red included, so I rolled it right back to 11 and began to review how to fix this fine mess.

As elsewhere indicated stoptimer for the most part can be replaced with trigger node, but I am still searching for a replacement for the traffic node as there seems to be no readily available alternative. If you know of any, Iā€™m all ears. Worst comes to the worst, Iā€™ll write a javascript function to replace it, but there are 50 other things Iā€™d rather be coding.

All this leaves one worrying what the maintainers are going to throw out next. ā€œHey, letā€™s drop the change node, nobody is using that one, right?ā€ is probably not going to happen, but it would seem evident that any stock node is now fair game when they get a bit datedā€¦

Kind of agree.
In fact new version 13 comes alongā€¦ and now weā€™ve lost the render template editor!

Perhaps just a bug that will soon be fixed but deselecting auto-update for Node-red (and doing lots of backups) seems compulsory.

You mention the palette manager, did you try adding the package name to the config tab? I have the traffic node installed with the latest version of the add-on BTW.

This thread was written prior to Node Red 13 (aka Node Red 3.0) being released. I am guessing the issue you are seeing is another reason for not using nodes that are not maintained such as stoptimerā€¦ if the bad engine refers to the engine needed by the node.

Awesome tactic!

If the traffic node you are talking about is this one:

It is another node that hasnā€™t seen an update in nearly 7 years. It doesnā€™t make it automatically bad, but I would never use it in fear of it breaking with an update as everything else progresses.

I use the Gate node for what I understand the traffic node to do. It was last updated 10 months ago.

As far as I know they simply removed the nodes from core. You can add them back as they still show in the install palette. Now, if the engine was updated (sorryā€¦ progressā€¦) and the nodes have not been updated for the new engine (maybe it is just a matter of waiting) then it could be a validating point for not using nodes that havenā€™t been maintained or updated in many years.