Strange behavior with thermostat

So, I have four ecobee thermostats integrated in HA and visible on my dashboard using the default thermostat card. However, I see some strange behavior which I cannot explain.

Let’s say the temperature is currently set to 68F and I want to raise it to 70F. Regardless of which card I use, or how I adjust the slider, when I raise it to 70, it immediately slides back to 69.5 once I release the mouse. Now, when I go to adjust it again, because the temperature has gone up to 68.2F, it will only adjust to 69.7F and not 70. It’s like something is happening behind the scenes that I cannot explain.

Ultimately, I just want to be able to set my thermostat to XX.0 and XX.5 degrees and have it stay at the temperature I’ve selected, not change when I release the mouse or click off it. Any ideas what might be the issue?

Forgot to mention, this happens when I use the sliders on the “arc” or when clicking the + or - button.

I wonder if this is something specific to ecobee thermostats, or is all thermostats integrated to HA act this way.

Any insight would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Is the system using Celsius underneath with whole numbers but displays Fahrenheit with decimals?

I don’t believe so, as Celcius would move the temp a lot more than 0.5 degrees F. It’s the weirdest thing…

Whatever temp I try to set, let’s say I move it from 68F to 70F, it immediately jumps back to 69.5F, then when I try to move it again to 70F, it will set it to 70.2F. I don’t think it is a function of the card, as all cards (standard, mushroom, and others) have the same issue. If I change the temp on the thermostat itself, I don’t have the issue. It sets it correctly in HA and on the device.

Also, when adjusting the temperature in HA, how do you control the hold time. On the thermostat itself, when I manually adjust the temp it will ask me “Hold for 2 hours”, “Hold for 4 hours”, “Hold until next transition” or “Hold Indefinitely”. Adjusting via HA does not do that, so I am not sure what the default behavior is, and how I would override it.

Still trying to figure this out. Anyone have any thoughts?

If these are zigbee thermostats, you might be having connection issues. Whenever my Centralite did this (almost the exact same thing) it was a connection problem. Make sure your zigbee and wifi networks are on opposite ends of the radio spectrum. If they are near to each other, WiFi will generally crush the zigbee signals quite easily.

So I don’t believe my thermostats are using Zigbee. I checked the menu and there is no Zigbee module installed, only WiFi.

Okay, then the problem is not what I thought it may be. Do they use 2.4ghz or 5ghz? You might try switching to the other and see if anything changes. With wifi, there can be a ton of variables, depending on your router brand, firmware, updates, etc. I would start looking there since all your thermostats are experiencing the same issue.

They are on 2.4Ghz. When I manage them through the native app, I have no issues. This is only occurs when updating the temperature through the HA dashboard.

Maybe delete them from HA and re-add them, testing them one by one as you add them. This could test for CPU overhead/memory usage. If one or two works normally, but four doesn’t, then there is probably a bug in the integration.