Stream Component: Confirmed Cameras and Configurations

Hi all, just for reference for people who experience issues starting the stream in the frontend.

Please check the issue below on github:

https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant-polymer/issues/2987

thats not possible with synology as default
what i did, on my synology , i enabled a webserver with PHP, that with php script i generate my unique stil_image_links

I’ve tried the RTSP stream from a Doorbird Camera and I also get the more-info dialog that never shows playback. I tried the frontend javascript latest workaround but it hasn’t made a difference so far.

I’m running this on hassos on Intel NUC with 0.90.2 and have tried the frontend from:
iOS 12.2 Safari
Firefox 66.0.2 on Windows 10
Google Chrome 73.0.3683.86
Chromium on Raspbian

I can play the stream via VLC and there are no system errors reported.
-Jan

Don’t know if this helps, but with my Reolink cameras I take the still image URL from the camera and the stream URL from the Synology they record to. Seems to work fine.

Tried doing both directly from the camera but it doesn’t seem to like it, I think it maxes out its bandwidth

I have tried using a link to the primary stream, sub stream and my Synology formmy reolink camera. They all work via VLC (not a bandwidth issue) but they all take between 2-4 seconds to start. I suspect the delayed start on first connection is part of the issue.

Reliability is poor in all three cases. The lower resolution sub stream seems to be the most stable but still not reliable enough to use.

@gregg098 and other foscam people. I do have the same config as gregg098 and streaming is working within HA in the browser, so the generic_camera is working fine. But whe pusing the stream to a chromecast, the chromecast gives an ampty video/google icon, and no stream.

- platform: generic
    name: Foscam Stream
    stream_source: rtsp://user:pass@camaraurl:88/videoMain
    still_image_url: http://cameraurl:88/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=user&pwd=pass"
    username: !secret foscam_user
    password: !secret foscam_password
    verify_ssl: false

above is just working fine, but no stream on Chromecast:

script:
stream:
 sequence:
  - service: camera.play_stream
    data:
      entity_id: camera.foscam_stream
      media_player: media_player.chromecast

any idea’s?
no error in the log and running 0.90.2

I have this working, sort of, on a Lorex LNE8974AB and LNE8950AB.

I can only get it to stream to chromcast (non-4K version) if I pick the low res stream. When I stream using stream 0 it works OK on the web browser, but going to the chromcast does not work (no error, just no picture). My GUESS is it relates to being 4K.

It looks like it is reformatting to HLS, is there a way to specify a new target resolution? I can only get very low res in the alternate stream, I would like to down-sample the 4K stream to HD or whatever Chromcast takes.

On a related note – does anyone know of a way to stream directly to WebOS (LG’s smart TV), without chromcast? My LG is 4K, my chromcast (hardly ever used) is not.

thanks in advance for any insight,

Linwood

Has anyone have this working with an Arlo BabyCam?

Thanks! Worked after replaced scamera.play_stream: with stream_source:
But I have to click on picture card then play the stream. Is it possible to see the stream directly on the card?

To follow up, I am seeing an issue (or at least a restriction) with 4K images.

I went out and bought a Chromecast Ultra today, to see if it related to initially using an old-style (HD limited I think) version. It does, but there are other issues.

If I set up for my primary stream in the generic camera (4K, 3840x2160, H264H, VBR, max bit rate 4096, 1fps) and stream to the Ultra it works fine. Note I am at 1fps just to try to make this not a performance question.

If I stream the same to the old style Chromecast, I see it try (horizontal line runs across a couple times) then it fails silently - no error on screen or log. Other than the lack of error this is not really an issue – if one wants 4k using the ultra makes sense.

I also was able to determine that if you rotate the image (e.g. three of my feeds are rotated 270 degrees for a vertical view), then for any decent resolution chromcast just discards the image. I confirmed this with VLC.

So… anyone trying this with chromcast be aware you need an ultra if you are using high res cameras, and also that you cannot rotate the image.

By the way, and just FWIW, my images are running about 11 seconds behind on a very low res very low fps feed on a rPi 3B (non-plus). Which is really too slow, though somewhat usable still. Maybe it’s time for some kind of intel system.

Thank you, I have my Unifi cameras back, now just need to get the motion sensor sorted.

1 Like

Speaking of delay, I run my HA on an Intel NUC and still having a delay of ~10-20 seconds, regardless what quality is set for streaming.

1 Like

I have a laview (hikvision)doorbell camera. 1080p at 12fps. It is also connected to a NVR. If I stream using VLC I get a perfect stream, but on HA is streams a couple seconds, buffers, and streams again. One thing I notice though is it’s not dropping the stream, I can see the timestamp, so overtime, it will be more and more delay. So it goes from 10:10:01 to 10:10:03, then buffer for a couple seconds, then contiue at 10:10:03 to 10:10:05 then buffer for a couple seconds then continue at 10:10:05 and so on.

It does not matter if I use the stream from the NVR or the stream from the doorbell camera directly. Also does not matter if I use the higher quality 101 stream or the lower quality 102 stream. I tried setting the framerate to 12fps, since that is what the camera uses, but made no difference.

Anyone else had any luck with this or any of the other rebranded versions of the same camera.
https://www.amazon.com/LaView-Doorbell-Storage-Pre-Installed-Detection/dp/B079Q435KL/

I run my HA on an Intel NUC and still having a delay of ~10-20 seconds, regardless what quality is set for streaming.

I’m not sure whether you just saved me buying a NUC, or disappointed me no end. I wonder where that much delay is from?

On a completely different note – how does one STOP streaming?

I was experimenting with my TV last night, and switched to getting images to display from a USB card, yet Chromecast kept yanking the image back to my IP camera. I just did an experiment and turned the TV off – it paused the Chromecast, but when the TV came back it was on a still from the IP camera. Is there some way to terminate the stream?

For me I found that changing the input on the TV ended the stream. Not sure if that is the most efficient way to do it, but worked well in my setup

Are you streaming to the TV itself (and if so – how? I’d love to. I have a LG WebOS) or Chromecast?

I’ve had mixed results. I just experimented and changing from chromecast as an input to USB storage did not, turning it off (though of course who knows if it is really off) did not, but changing to a different HDMI input did.

I have chromecast built in my tv. As far as I can tell/understand. Chromecast is just an input. It’s either plugged into an HDMI which is it’s input or it’s built in and its still an input. Changing inputs probably ends the stream. To be honest, I’m not 100% sure, it might still be streaming to the chromecast, I just cannot see it

To stop casting

stop_casting_tv:
    alias: Stop casting TV
    sequence:
      - service: media_player.turn_off
        data_template:
           media_player: >
              media_player.living_room

Good deal, did not even think of that. So does “media_player.turn_off” just stop the cast, or does it actually turn off the media player.

From what I see it’s due to buffering of the stream on a device that is used for output. On a TV with a built in chromecast I see a delay of ~15-20 seconds, where on PC it’s ~10-15 seconds. TV and PC are connected to the mesh routers via Ethernet cable so in internet speeds they are equal but TV buffers stream a bit longer.