Stream component with google home hub help

Trying to get the integration from the Amcrest IP cameras using the new stream component to send the video to the google home hub or chromecast.

I have the cameras working though the HA front end with the the stream component enabled. Clicking on the still image brings up the player and I can see the live stream playing. I have tested with the generic and Amcrest camera configs working but when I set a automation to send the stream to the Google home hub or chromecast I just see the cast icon on the screen.

I have been testing direct with the services menu play stream with the following json entry as well with the same result. Checking the logs did not show any errors or notifcations. I have added my config below and a screenshot of the services entry. Any help to resolve is appreciated.

amcrest:

- host: 10.0.4.3
    username: ***
    password: ***
    name: "Driveway"
    resolution: low
    stream_source: rtsp

- host: 10.0.4.5
    name: "Front Door"

- host: 10.0.4.7
    name: "Garage"

- host: 10.0.4.8
    name: "Back Door"

camera:
  - platform: amcrest

- platform: generic
    name: Garage
    still_image_url: "http://usr:[email protected]/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi"
    stream_source: "rtsp://usr:[email protected]:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1"

Automation

- alias: "Garge Camera Motion"
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: sensor.garage
    to: 'Open'
  action:
  - service: camera.play_stream 
    data:
      entity_id: camera.garage
      media_player: media_player.master_bedroom_tv

Hi @masterdka I’m not fully sure this maybe the reason but in the docs I found:

action:
  service: camera.play_stream
  data:
    entity_id: camera.yourcamera
    media_player: media_player.chromecast

while in your action statement you have (extra dash before service):

action:
  - service: camera.play_stream 
    data:
      entity_id: camera.garage
      media_player: media_player.master_bedroom_tv

Since YAML is a bit picky, could that be the reason?
Good luck!

Hello @timseebeck thank you for the suggestion I did try it out but still having the same issue that the stream tries to start on the home hub or chromecast but then I just the get cast icon still. I appreciate your suggestion!

Hi @masterdka - Were you able to resolve this? I’m having the same problem with my Amcrest cameras and chromecast / home hub devices… Thanks!

Hello @rohankapoorcom, No I have not solved the problem and have not had much time to debug further. Sorry for the late reply.

Just got a home hub the other day and this is working without issue for me; although the camera does tend to buffer on and off during the stream which is frustrating

Yeah, I made the buffering stop, I think because I changed the camera to a very low resolution and bit rate…

/Johan

I’m experiencing the original issue as well using the Wyze RTSP beta firmware. Everything works great in HA front end, but when I attempt to play the stream on a Google Home Hub, it just displays the Cast icon. There are no errors in any of the logs. FWIW, running HA in Docker.

It does work when I sync my Wyze account directly with Google Home but obviously not ideal.

Loopback nat! Your router needs this feature

I’ve had this working fine for quite some time, but recently one of my cameras is now unable to stream from a Google Home (Nest) Hub.

• 2 Amcrest Cameras
  • Google Home Hub (Nest Hub)
  • Home Assistant set up with NabuCasa
  • Google Assistant linked to Nabu Casa
  • Camera configuration is identical other than the host (IP address) and the name, since they both use same username/password, low resolution, and rtsp setting.
  • 1 of the cameras works fine, the other responds with “sorry, I cannot process your request.” This even happens when manually selecting the camera from the display on the Google device.

Any suggestions or recommendations? I’ve rebooted all devices, ensured the settings work, but it just stopped working one day without any real reason.