Stream Door Cam Video to Echo Spot

I have a Dahua VTO2202 video door phone integrated into HA. I have setup an automation that announces when someone presses the call button, but I would also like it to stream the video to my Echo Spot so I can see who is at the door.
I can say “Alexa show the door cam” and it brings up the video but I would like to include that functionality into the automation.
Has anyone got this working?

Well, once again I find myself replying to my own post with the solution :unamused: It’s getting to be a habit, so I was driven to check if there is a figure of speech describing answering your own questions, and there is… Hypophora!
Anyway, here is the first draft of an automation to show my door cam on an Echo Spot when someone presses the call button…

alias: Show Door Camera on Attic Echo
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.front_doorbell_button_state
    to: 'on'
condition: []
action:
  - service: media_player.play_media
    data:
      entity_id: media_player.attic_echo_spot
      media_content_id: show front door phone
      media_content_type: custom
mode: single

hi, from where you get the : media_content_id:? Thank you!

Hi Robert, the media_content_id: is part of the service call and usually points to the location of the media file you want to play.
If you use the Developer Tools in the HA UI, click on SERVICES and you can play with the service call there and see what works for you.

thank you very much Pat Rooney! Found it :slight_smile:

Just wondering if this still works currently?
And if it does, to rephrase the question regarding the media content id, is “show front door phone” the name you gave to your Alexa skill? Just trying to understand what the link is …

This stopped working some time ago, probably due to some Amazon changes. To be honest, I just never got around to trying to fix it, sorry :man_shrugging: