Struggling with binding Ikea blind fyrtur with conbee 2/Deconz

@helgemor Zigbee devices cannot be paired with two different gateways as they have two-way communication.
But if you control the blinds with HA, and instead pair the remote with a gateway on HA and use HA to send commands to the blinds, it should be possible.
If i do remember correctly the remote send events to HA you can use, but i am not sure.
But as said, i use the original Tradfri remote to control, Aqara smart switch and HA vi a Tradfri gateway to control the blinds.
I also use a small light sensor and temperature-sensor to automate it based on sunlight combined with inside temperature. At winter sunshine at large windows is free heat (while you are away), but at summer you want to keep the heat out.

@smurfen I find the control via HA more reliable than using the remote, even with the remote, range extender and tradfri gateway within a few meters from each other.
So HA and xiaomi switches will be used for this. Maybe I can use the remote for some other stuff, or see if it gets more reliable with the remote paired with deCONZ/HA. Iā€™ll check this out when I get my next blinds.
Regarding the automatic open/close, Iā€™ll be using the room temperature and the sunā€™s position in combination with the weather report from yr.no.

I am also struggling with these blinds which Iā€™ve just purchased and wondered if someone might know what could be causing me issues.

I have 3 dining room blinds, 2 kitchen and 1 office. Raspberry Pi + deCONZ stick is upstairs in the office. I have managed to pair all the blinds and 3 remotes successfully using Phoscon. I also paired a bunch of the tradfri repeaters thinking that would extend the signal from the kitchen/dining upstairs to the office. Is that correct?

So after it was all set up, I could control the blinds from HA, set up automations on the switches which also worked and even set up a few Google Assistant routines.

Woke up this morning and the blinds wonā€™t open using any of the methods which worked fine last night. I restarted HA but still no joy. Oddly the office blind still operates which makes me wonder if itā€™s a signal strength thing and the repeaters do nothing when paired to HA via deCONZ?

Any other reasons why it would suddenly stop working. No errors I can see in the logs. Iā€™m stumped.

Iā€™ve been using Fyrtur via the Ikea Hub for the last year or so but have now removed the hub as Iā€™m trying to do away with any third party / cloud clutter via conbee 2 / deconz & tasmota.

Iā€™ve got all my bulbs paired directly with deconz now. But Iā€™m struggling with the blind. So reading through this thread it seems it needs to be close by to pair. My problem, I canā€™t get it off the wall!

There are two little plastic clips and then metal brackets on the window frame. I can just about wedge my finger in between the top of the plastic clip and the ceiling. But this doesnā€™t seem to free it. How do you take the blind down?

The mount has a spring, push the shutter-ā€œboxā€ backwards and tilt it so the side against the window is tilted downwards, then take it against you.
See the picture, and do it reversed.

1 Like

Thanks.

I was trying to spring the plastic bit down rather than pushing it in. So pushing it in and pushing blind forward released it :slight_smile:

Couldnā€™t pair to start with but turns out in deconz there was an unknown device with a battery level so I deleted node on that then searched for lights again in Phoscon and it was found! (pressing both buttons on blind for around 5 seconds till itā€™s white led came on).

Now to work out how to set fully closed height. (just get to correct height and double press top button on blind)

Nice!

Yes you can calibrate the endpoint with the buttons on the roller, remote or even code.
When the blind is in correct stop-position, double click one of the two up/down buttons on the blind to store the setting.

This seems to be the only way to get TrƄdfri to join. I use ConBee2 with ZHA + HA Docker directly.

ZLL Bind via remotes doesnā€™t yet seem to work to ā€œbring inā€ devices paired first via a remote like here ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yzhOy1THPg ). At least I have not found out how to do it.

There seems to be some extra sauce that Ikea gateway does when performing the join via remote procedure. Either Remote tells GW to admit the device or GW tells bulb via remoteā€¦

Really interesting thread - I can see so many of my own struggles in this forum, including a few that are not mentioned here.
I have strongly resisted having any other gateway than the Conbee (I) / phoscon (no VNC access, deconz runs its own docker container) and up until this point, and have had mates that have had no problems adding Fyrtur blinds directly to Phoscon. Furthermore, I have waited for some time before buying these blinds for the teething problems and supply chain issues to resolve, so I assumed by this point it should be a walk in the park. How naive of me to think it would be easy! It honestly never is with Ikea products.

My problems are 1) its huge PITA to take the blinds down and bring them to close to the repeater
2) After a factory default, they will show up in the light scan, but will canā€™t be controlled from Phoscon
3) in Home Assistant, they both show up, one will accept a ā€œdownā€ command, but does not report it itā€™s position, so HA thinks itā€™s still traveling down. The other blind has no comms.
4) There is a firmware mismatch it seems:

Based on the comments I have read here, it seems the best recourse is to get the TrĆ„dfri gateway after all ā€¦has anyone else had problems of status/position not being reported?

Grateful for any further tips that doesnt involve me getting a gateway

A question to my question - do these blinds require Conbee II to work properly?

1. distance should not matter as long as it is within the stated distance that your conbee can handle - start join in HA, then join from device. Try vice-versa.
  2. Enable firmware update for your IKEA stuff.

Try adding them via another Zigbee device which is closer to them: Add Devices via this device. Ikea zigbee antennae may be smaller, thus weaker signal. ā€œBe patientā€.

Thanks Paul, appreciate the response.
1a. I have found with IKEA devices they need to be ridiculously close to the conbee stick to be added, but good to know i donā€™t need to remove them.
2a. How do I do this from phoscon webapp?

Add Devices via this device . ? Are you referring to ZHA? I am using deconz in a standalone docker.

I (using the old-2016 phoscon webpages) managed to bind my Up-Down trƄdfri switch to blinds, and both respond to this switch. However, controlling them from Home Assistant results in the same behavior I described (only the left blind working, not reporting status etc etc)

I donā€™t use phoscon. Just conbee straight into Synology USB -> Docker -> HA. I hear the conbee 2 has a smidgen stronger antenna. Proximity helps - but doesnā€™t seem necessary.

@prebbz @nameswilson sorry to ping you but my issues seem to be similar to yours and Iā€™m curious how you ended up resolving (if at all). Debating whether I should just pick up the Trafri gateway.

How do you add straight to Zigbee receiver?
Iā€™m using HA Yellow, and pushing both the buttons on the blind doesnā€™t show it when adding a new zigbee device

Set blind in pairing mode and pair it in Phoscon as a light i think.
But as said i am using the Ikea gateway connected to HA, easier with firmware upgrades.

Needed a factory reset, but all good now!