Struggling with binding Ikea blind fyrtur with conbee 2/Deconz

Hi!
After spending hours (two evenings) trying to bind Fyrtur and Deconz/Conbee 2 i have to try to ask here.
I have read what i found here and googled a lot, but it did not solved my problem.
It works out of the box when using the included remote and trådfri repeater, but pair with deconz just not work.
I have tried to hold a trådfri repeater centimeters from the blinds electronic in blinds pairing mode and searched for light in Phoscon/Deconz app.
I have the latest version of HA, and latest firmware on conbee 2.

What am i doing wrong?

2 Likes

Start the pairing mode (WebUI of deconz for example), and factory reset the devices you want to pair, entering the pairing mode will not work. After ~20s the devices start to show up.
I’ve found deconz to be unreliable however, be sure to apply some of the tricks here: https://github.com/dresden-elektronik/deconz-rest-plugin/issues/1121#issuecomment-524617659
I’m now using the ZHA integration instead, and using template sensors and covers to issue cluster commands, everything else didn’t work good enough, ZHA would show the battery status at 50% instead of 99%, the device would always be unavailable, but controlling through cluster commands works.

2 Likes

Hi! Many thanks for a constructive good answere!
I am sure you have right, i just entered pairing mode every try, did not think about factory reset.
I went to Ikea yesterday and phurcased a Trådfri gateway, then paired the repeater. switch and blind with that gateway and firmware upgraded all of them. After everything was set up with the gateway using the app, i added the gateway to Home Assistant. And autodiscovery found all three devices an added them to HA. Works as a sharm, but no battery-information that way or in the Ikea app either. I also have some CC2531 dongles and a programmer on its way from China. Will learn about ZHA and try several ways to integrate this later if it will give me battery-info or work fine without the Trådfri gateway.

Again: thanks for replying!

Hi. I have exact the same issue as you did.
So your solution was to get the ikea gateway and pair that way into HA?

I have 4 blinds. 2 of them deCONZ found, the last to it says “something was found”, but it dosnt show up in the UI

Hi! Yes, i first paired them all just with the ikea gateway by using the ikea Home Smart app.
Then i let the app firmwareupgrade the blinds (that take some time but happends automaticly).
After all was setup i added the gateway in home-assistant, then all Ikea items/blinds that paired with the Trådfri gateway was showing up as entity´s under integrations.
I has also later added 1 more blind, also using the Smart Home app and let it firmwareupgrade,then after a restart of HA the new blind was added.

I use both one of the included remote, and one Aqara smart swith (1 short click- roll down, 1 long click - roll up, doubleclick stop in any posision.
And for sure on cards in Lovelace as separate entities, and scenes to control all with one click.
Next is to add light-sensor outside and use a combo of sunlight and room-temperature to automate deploy of the blinds.

I also switched to the IKEA gateway - do you get battery levels for the blinds?

No, not even in the Ikea Home Smart app.
The remote has reported battery to HA, but is wrong and changes when remote buttons are used, so it is useless.
But as long as the blinds is controlable and stable using both the included remote and HA i am happy :slight_smile:

Does HA show the current_position correctly for each blind?
I have all of my 8 blinds in HA, but they are always at 100%.

Yes it does, but it depends where you look for it.
On card (out of the box) it just show open or closed, but if you use the slider and set it to a position and look under developer tools status (find the cover entity there), it shows the current position from 0 to 100. I even see it changes positionvalues realtime there when the blinds deflects. But as said i am using the ikea trådfri gateway for the blinds, and not my Conbee 2.
Seeing this under developer tools/statuses when i deflected about 20 cm of the blind:

current_position: 84
friendly_name: Solskjerm terrassedør stue
supported_features: 15
icon: mdi:blinds

Take a look at the doc here for the Cover integration:

1 Like

Do you need the IKEA Gateway to add them in Home Assistant, or is it possible to do it directly add it in Phoscon?

It is possible to add it directly to the Conbee/Deconz, but i am still using the Ikea gateway as it is easier to firmware upgrade etc., but if you dont have the Ikea gateway you don´t have to buy it.

Hi @ronnyandre

I got 6 blinds and tried to add one after another, the first one showed up after a while after it basically placed it right next to my deCONZ (raspbee 2). Then the 2nd one showed up right away where as the 3rd one showed up but didn’t display any cluster information.

Since I’m just starting with deCONZ, I did a factory reset to start from scratch and so far, no device - neither the Philipps Hue bulps, the IKEA Tradri range extenders or the Fyrtur blinds are being detected.

So far it’s a painful and frustrating experience for the last 4 days…

@smurfen Thank you for the hint to get the Tradfri Gateway to update the firmware. I noticed on the 6 Fyrtur devices, on the package 5 say “Zigbee S2020/03” whereas one says “Zigbee S2019/09”. I feel it was a customer return since the battery was missing in the RC too. Not sure if the previous owner updated the FW already but I will go and get a IKEA gateway for sure…

I also will (have to?) get a Hue Switch to “factory reset” the bulbs… I feel I can’t pair them because they have been paired with deCONZ before…

That is good to hear that you had narrowed down the problems Chahir.
Yes the Ikea gateway is cheap, and is good to have for easy firmware upgrades an troublefree integration of the blinds (should be).
I do not have Hue bulbs, but some Ikea ones, they can be reset by five short power on/off with a regular light switch that cut power to the bulb.
I think it is 3-4 ways to reset hue bulbs, but i have not tried them myself.

Hi @smurfen

Thanks, I’m not worried about the Philips Hue bulbs. I was always able to join them. Worst case I continue using my Hue Bridge integration in HomeAssistant. I was reading that the Fyrtur integration in HA isn’t great and misses some details (e.g. battery level). That’s why I’m trying to use deCONZ but I’m unable to get all 6 blinds to show cluster information… not sure how to troubleshoot this. I haven’t seen any other devices that were being recognized but didn’t show the cluster information…

I’m struggling with pairing fyrtur with deConz too, and see that I will have to get a Tradfri Gateway. Fair enough.
But: The range extender that’s included with the blinds. Is that really necessary for blinds operation when the remote switch, deConz/conbee and blinds are within reasonable distance from each other?

I don’t think so, those are probably just there to amplify the remotes signal I guess, works in Deconz (when it works) without the range extenders

Good! Then I’ll just put it in a drawe to remove one uncertainty from my puzzle.
BTW: The first time I plugged it in, my doorbell stopped working (yes, Zigbee-based)!
When I unplugged it again, the doorbell worked fine.

What I’m trying to achieve with my Fyrtur (1 now, more to come) is:

1. The remote control should control it directly.
  2. I don’t want to use the Tradfri Range extender
  3. The blinds should be available from HA to automate up/down/set to n%/read battery state.

I don’t have to have the remote control available to HA, but it would be nice, so I can use it for automations.
Starting with factory reset parts, which is the best path ahead?
HA Core on Intel NUC.
Standard deCONZ plugin with Conbee II.

I think using the remote directly without the tradfri repeter is not possible.
But: if you have the trådfri gateway i think you can skip the repeater.

That said, i have the blinds and the Tradfri gateway, and also Conbee II and Deconz. Blinds are paired with the Tradfri GW.
I can control the blinds from code/automations, and even set the deflection from 0 to 100.
And i also use a Xiaomi Aqara smart switch to control it in addition to the original one.
Short click roll out, doubleclick stop, long (hold) roll in (open).
But the blinds does not report battery-state, i do not think it does at all (not in the Ikea app either).
The switch that comes with the blinds, seems to send battery state, but that is not correct. Data seems to change between to values at every click.

With a Tradfri gateway and the range extender installed it’s now working.
It didn’t work when I unplugged the range extender.
The blinds are easily controlled by HA, but it would be nice to have the remote control as a switch in HA as well. The first time I added it, it lost control of the blinds. Anyone with hints on how to do this?
Now that it’s working fine, and WAF is increasing, I dare not experiment anymore with it.
Maybe I’ll just use xiaomi switches like @smurfen did, that’s a good idea.