Struggling with Zigbee through Conbee 2 and Philips Hue GU10 Ambiance White bulbs without Bridge or Switch

I have recently set up a Raspberry Pi 4B with a docker container running Home Assistant and Deconz.
For Zigbee I’m using a Conbee 2 USB dongle which I’m trying to connect to some Philips Hue GU10 Ambiance White bulbs.

Since I’m planning on fully controlling my smart home through HA I didn’t buy any Hue Bridge or Dimmer Switch. And since I’m planning on running MyCroft as voice assistant I don’t have an Alexa hub. Unfortunately nearly all of the topics I came across seem to ask for at least one of these devices or simply offer a solution that doesn’t seem to work at all.

The main issue is that I don’t see the light bulbs at all if I try to scan for them with the Conbee 2. I’m not sure if it’s due to range since the Pi 4B is within the same room as the lights but the bulbs are hanging off the ceiling and the Pi is near the floor under my TV (about 3-5m distance). I have seen some topics stating the light can only be paired with within 3 feet but these topics were often in relation with the Bluetooth pairing with the Hue Bluetooth App. Also I confirmed it is utter nonsense for Bluetooth as I managed to pair the bulbs with the app from over 8 meters away.

Due to my plans I refuse to buy an Amazon Echo, I’m unwilling to buy a Hue Bridge (but open for reasoning) and I’m willing to buy a Dimmer Switch since it seems like it can still be useful after I connect everything to HA.

So what this all boils down to:

• Is the short distance between the bulb and dongle a hard requirement?
    (Do I need a USB-A Extension cable)
  • Is it truly impossible to put a Hue Bulb in pairing mode without any extra devices?
    (Or have I already managed this by resetting it in the Bluetooth app and is the distance too long)
  • Am I doing something else wrong?
    (Please enlighten me, I’ve only recently started with home automation so I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the issue)

I would love it if someone could help me out with this as it’s slowly making me lose my mind.

1 Like

Yes, especially if you use a SSD instead of an SDcard

Zigbee2mqtt offers touchlink, but I think it is not supported on a Conbee 2

Also, put your conbee in a USB2 port !

1 Like

I ordered a 5 meter usb extension cable and connected the conbee stick that way. (it was already connected to a USB2 port so I just used the same port)
As soon as I started searching it found my lights and even the lights way further than 3 feet.
Some lights were still linked with the bluetooth app but as soon as I removed them they showed up as well.

So I’m guessing it only needed to be that close to enter the zigbee network.
Thanks for the help!