Subscribe to MQTT topic on io.adafruit.com while still running the Mosquitto broker add-on (MQTT Bridge)

I have HA running on a raspberry pi with the Mosquito MQTT broker add-on. I have local devices running and successfully publishing to the MQTT server and all is working well. I now have a temperature sensor that will be running outside my network (way out side) that I am publishing data to io.adafruit.com. I was hoping to just “subscribe” to the data on adafruit using their MQTT connection.

From what I read, I need to setup a “bridge” because HA can only connect to one MQTT server. I have spent a day trying to get that to work based on multiple posts from this site. After breaking everything, I just got back to level ground and I again have everything working on the internal MQTT broker again.

I feel like it can’t possibly be this difficult to subscribe to outside MQTT server data and still keep my internal MQTT add-on server working as normal for my local devices. Am I over complicating things here by trying to setup of a MQTT “bridge” on the MQTT add-on server? Is that the correct way to go?

This is one of things I tried to setup up the bridge because this person’s scenario sounds exactly like mine but then I broke something and I had to put everything back. The post is older so maybe things have changed?

I am still struggling to get out of the gate with this. Most threads say I should setup a “mosquitto.conf” file and that I should change the configuration on the the mosquitto add on from “active: false” to "active: true"

when I do this, the “mosquitto.conf” does load, but then my local MQTT clients stop working, and the remote io.adafruit MQTT is still not communicating.

So is changing from “active: false” to “active: true” in the configuration really the first step to getting the bridge going or is that not correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Richard
Together with your next post it looks like you managed to bridge to io.adafruit MQTT and to receive some temperature date from an external sensor. Would you share, how you did that exactly and would you share your anonymized mosquitto.conf entries? I am not yet very experienced but would like to establish exactly such a szenario.
Thanks a lot