Success with Integrating to Russound CAA66?

Awesome man! Works perfectly :beer::sunglasses::thumbsup:
Excellent job. I don’t have any wall controllers to test if it feeds good info back to HASS but going from HASS to Russound is working great! I can change volume, input and power zones with no delay or errors.

Sadly, the HASS media player user interface is not quite as sleek as the one the guy wrote for SmartThings but I’ll live with it as the rest of the ST app is terrible! On HASS, I don’t like that the volume slider doesn’t fade the audio smoothly or change until you let off the slider. Maybe that will get upgraded someday.

Let me know if there’s anything else you’d like me to test.

Hi @acambitsis - The links have expired would it be possible to re-post?

thanks

@eyann certainly. Will get to it in a couple of hours. Will post new links.

Here you go:
russound_rnet.py: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzs8px353bfm0py/russound_rnet.py?dl=0

russound.py: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6p9cfydamth76z1/russound.py?dl=0

@eyann let me know if this has worked for you.

Got the files! Thank you. I have the MCA-C5 russound receiver which uses the same RNET protocol as CAA. I will report back when I configure my setup to use the provided files.

Quick question: will these files ever get overwritten by a Home Assistant update? Are there any plans to get this included into the official release?

Hey there, I ran into an issue with this. Here is what happened:

I migrated my install from a Pi1 to a Pi3. When I did that, I updated from HASS 33.3 to 36.1. I was able to setup everything correctly, except when I tried to use the Russound. I used the same serial connector as I had before (tcp-serial-redirect.py), however when I launched Home Assistant, the serial connection broke. Here’s the console:

pi@homeassistant:/usr/local/bin $ python3 tcp_serial_redirect.py --spy -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 19200 --rts=1 --dtr=1 -P 1337
--- TCP/IP to Serial redirector --- type Ctrl-C / BREAK to quit
--- /dev/ttyUSB0 19200,8,N,1 ---
Waiting for connection on 1337...
Connected by ('127.0.0.1', 34918)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tcp_serial_redirect.py", line 305, in <module>
    r.shortcut()
  File "tcp_serial_redirect.py", line 33, in shortcut
    self.writer()
  File "tcp_serial_redirect.py", line 80, in writer
    sys.stdout.write(codecs.escape_encode(data)[0])
TypeError: must be str, not bytes

I put the original russound files from the default HASS install back into place and this doesn’t occur. I get the old behavior of the zones showing up on the front-end but no way to power them on.

Do you think something might have changed in a new release of HASS to break this? Perhaps, I did something that I’m not seeing. Any Ideas?

What method do you use to connect to your Russound?

Yes currently they do get overwritten with a new release. I still need to go through the process of getting them incorporated in the main HASS branch. It’s not a long process but just need to find a gap to get it done. Hopefully in the next couple of days.
For now, if you update your HASS you need to follow the process to replace the files with the newer ones (which based on your subsequent post it seems you have done).

Ok this is strange. I think the first thing is to check that nothing has changed with the new release of HASS that could be causing this. I am running on 0.3.5. So I’ll upgrade to 0.3.6 and see if I get any issues on my side. I use the brainboxes ethernet to serial bridge device to connect to my Russound: http://www.brainboxes.com/product/es-246/1-port-rs232-ethernet-to-serial-adapter

@hoffsta I have upgraded to the 0.36.1 and I can confirm that it still works fine on my side. There must be something going on with your serial bridge installation on your Pi3 that is causing the issue (the fact the original russound files don’t throw any errors doesn’t mean the bridge is working correctly, since its unlikely they are even talking to the russound at all. I think communication only happens when you turn a zone on, and obviously prior to the fixes there is no on button). I I have not had any experience the with tcp to serial solution you are using so off hand I cant even give you any pointers. Have you tired testing 0.36.1 on your Pi1?

Thanks for the update. I don’t know where it went wrong but I’m moving to a different serial platform shortly. I’m going to build a ESP8266-MAX3232 wifi-serial interface board and embed it into the Russound! I’ll let you know how it goes. Cheers

@hoffsta the coding changes I made have now been accepted by the community into the HA main branch. So from the next release onwards version 0.1.7 of the Russound module should be included, thus not requiring you to manually install the changes I made every time you update HA. (In case you are interested here the is the pull request that was accepted https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/5756). How is itgoing with your wifi serial interface?

Excellent news! Thanks for doing that. I have been wrapped up in other projects and haven’t completed the wifi bridge yet. I did fix my issue with tcp-serial-redirect though. Turns out there are two versions on github that need different arguments to start correctly. When I rebuilt my system on the Pi3 I inadvertently grabbed the version incompatible with the way I had been launching it previously. Took a while to figure that one out! I’ll keep you posted on the wifi-bridge.

I’m about to pull the trigger on the Monoprice six zone (Product # 10761), which is supposed to use the same RNET protocol according to the SmartThings Russound release ([OBSOLETE] Russound Multi-Zone Controller Integration - Community Created SmartApps - SmartThings Community).

Has anyone else using this with the Monoprice controller? I’m very interested in @hoffsta’s wifi serial integration progress as well.

I have the Russound RNET component working with my Russound CAM6.6. I was wondering if it would be possible to have the play, pause, stop, next track and previous track integrated in this component. I have a Russound SMS3 that can be controlled through a Russound keypad that I would love to be able to control through Home Assistant and Alexa. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea how I would go about doing this :frowning:

Same here. Got it connected but I don’t have any media buttons such as: power, volume, play pause, etc.

Wondering if I should get a new unit.