Successfull installation on Intel Compute Stick

I first installed HA on a windows machine through Virtual Box. But i found constant connectivity issues. I had some old Intel Compute Stick STK1AW32SC lying around so i thought I give it a try. The compute stick was first pretty descent to use for simple tasks when i bought it, but after all the windows updates it became totally useless. This is how I installed HA:

1. I basically followed the method for Generic x86-64 installation: Generic x86-64 - Home Assistant

2. Use Ubuntu 14 for the USB flash drive! (Newer Ubuntu was keep freezing during installation, so I tried with an older Ubuntu 14 and it finally worked.)

3. Before you insert the Ubuntu USB into the Intel Stick, you must enter BIOS and switch it over to Windows 64 bit mode. Even though you only have Windows 32 bit installed, your Intel Stick starts in 64 bit mode.

4. After you finished with HA installation you must connect to WiFi in HA CLI, because the Intel Stick doesn’t have wired network connection. Follow this instructions: Changing Connectivity to Wifi via cli
    I had problem to connect to shared 2.4/5 GHz WiFi, but it worked fine to connect to 2.4 GHz.

5. You should now be able to connect to homeassistant.local.8123 from any device connected to the same WiFi. When connected to the UI, you can either start a new or restore from backup.

1 Like

It should be able to connect to Ethernet over HDMI 1.4( or usb 2.0 ), havent tried thou, beside i have a I-Onik P101 (Intel Quad-Core Z3735F)
Have been thinking about trying to install HA, same variant as you, to evaluate , but now i “Expect” you to follow up here with your findings and experiences :smile:

Did you use this version
32-bit PC (i386) desktop image
or
64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop image

Did you use rufus like me