Sudo apt-get?

Trying to get my Apple TV4 up and running, but the lib needed are run through sudo apt-get command?? I can only ssh into core not root… help… please…

1 Like

Hass.io? No chance!

3 Likes

Just use apt get without sudo

On Hass.io, there’s no such option.

Unfoutuanatly, i am learning as I go, and must be missing something (a lot is probably more like it).
so i ssh into root which gives me core-ssh. I then type command line:
apt-get install build-essential libssl-dev libffi-dev python-dev
I then get back -bash: apt-get: command not found

1 Like

There is no such thing as apt-get in hassio. you can not do this! If you want this you should use raspbian or a virtual environment. Hassio is an appliance.

1 Like

thank you… So does this mean no contol over the Apple TV4?

maybe try here: Add AppleTV to HASS

hassio strikes again…

2 Likes

haha. I like Hassio. I have a Raspberry Pi dedicated just to Hassio so it doesn’t bother me at all. The addons for Hassio suit my uses. I have other Pi’s that I use for other purposes. I do think this is where people run into trouble trying to do unrelated things on their HA machine - the RPi works best for one task. Not that this is an issue for the OP’s issue with the ATV4 of course. (and this is just my observation and opinion)

1 Like

Well at least i have it “Establishing a connection”… this is going to be a long road hahaha

Hi David/All - I’ve just started and install hass.io, but noting these issues. Thinking maybe I should have installed HA via Raspbian perhaps???

Want to install Python virtual environment to run some python scripts to publish to a MQTT queue, run a MQTT server like mosqitto, and Z-wave stuff… So I got stuck straight away trying to follow: https://home-assistant.io/docs/installation/raspberry-pi/

You can run python scripts in Hassio you know.

I think you mean/meant to install Hassbian?

Well i’m sorry if this is the wrong section but I’m also new to HA and Hass.io is the recommend env/docker that is all over the HA website.

However i also notice that i’m lacking a lot of feature, not from the HA env but from packages that i want to install for some of my components and i can’t because a lot of commands don’t work.

So my question is, what is the lightweight env i should install on a raspberry raspberry-pi so that i can “manually” install HA and then the hass.io “plug-in” and all the rest of the plug ins?

^^^ Not possible! The add-ons is a feature of HASSio only. HASSio is a closed down appliance-type OS. What you can do with it is tightly controlled. Just use Hassbian…

That’s exactly my view too. I run HASSio as my main controller, with several add-ons. I like its ease of setup, ease of use, set-and-forget (almost), etc… I don’t have to deal with permissions and a lot of other tech stuff. I have a few other and older RPi with Hassbian to run other internal custom stuff.

BTW, I’m an IT guy.

Later,

So the suggestions are to have two instances one with hass.io e other with Hassbian and HA.

But now you have to split all the configurations into two devices and have to choose “is HA the best or hass.io to do this?”

Neves the less thank you for the clarification :slight_smile:

It’s up to you, it depends on your needs. For most people, one host running HASSio will be enough. For custom stuff, Hassbian will be better, but you will need more technical knowledge.

1 Like