Suggested Installation for Win10 Host, Ubuntu Server Guest

I tried installing on a RPi3, but every so often it would fail and I had to install everything from scratch. Some said my 2.5A power supply may not be sufficient, others said all of the database writes to the SD card were killing it. My last attempt was setting up a USB drive to put the database on but it wouldn’t recognize the USB device so after two years or periodic failure I gave up on the RPi3.

I tried installing with Ubuntu Server 18 but I ran into issues with that. I believe the first issue was trying to install jq, but there seem to be other issues with 18.

I tried a “normal” installation of Home Assistant on Ubuntu Server 16, but there are issues because 16 can only go up to Python v 3.5.2 easily while HASS seems to require Python v 3.5.3.

I tried using docker-ce // docker-compose and everything worked up until I tried getting Alexa to recognize my lights and whatnot. I have read half a dozen threads about people having docker/emulated_hue issues and everybody just says they gave up.

So what is a guy to do? I already have a Win10 desktop that is running some other things so I would like to just set up a Linux VM of some sort but there seem to be no good options.