Suggestions for why all of my Z-Wave devices are non-responsive?

2 days ago all of my Z-Wave devices became non-functional. HA gives no indication of there being anything wrong, the integration seems to be fine but just none of the devices are doing what they’re supposed to (30+ of them). I have restarted, done a restore back to when everything was working. Restarted all the machines. Pulled the dongle and reinserted it (all the versions of “turn it off and on again”). All to no avail. It is possible my Zooz dongle just died? Any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this before I buy a new Z-Wave dongle? and if I do, which would you suggest I get?

I have undone all the changes/updates since this happened (the last thing I remember doing was the 2024.3 udpate.

SETUP:

HAOS running in a VM (unRAID)
Zooz 700 stick (passed through from unRAID), connected via a short USB extension cable
Firmware 7.17.2
Z-Wave JS
The logs show a long string of “Controller Unresponsive” and immediately followed by “Controller Ready”.

1. how have you implemented ZWave.
    (builtin, JsUI addon, JS addon or something else?)
  2. what’s the last change you remember making to your system before it happened.
  3. how is HA deployed (haos on Pi, container on docker on a Nas, etc.)
  4. EXACTLY what model stick and how is your coordinator stick connected (direct, extension cord. USB hub) and what firmware version does it have?
  5. what does the log say?

Without these were all just guessing

I thought I had updated it with all that - guess I forgot to hit “save”. My setup is there now.

Logs seems to suggest the stick has gone bad, I would say.

1 Like

I have had the dongle flip out. What I had to do is:

1. Unplug dongle while HA is running.
  2. Plug it back in while HA is running
  3. Reboot HA (virtual and physical if you run under a virtual machine) machine and bring HA back up.

This seems to fix the problem. I run under a virtual machine.

1 Like

Thanks! This did the trick!!!