Suitable zigbee gateway for lan

Hi,

i’m using HA on hyper-v.

I’m seeing zigbee implementation for USB sticks so that is directly my issue… passing through usb sticks is not possible.

I see some devices on Aliexpress but i’m not sure if it’s wasted money.

Is there a gateway (also called hub?) that can be a standalone device which can be connected to HA without having to TUYA?

Regards

Have a look at USB over IP software. Something like VirtualHere. You can trial it with a single device but - auto connect won’t work with the Trial, so you will need to manually connect.

https://www.virtualhere.com

Or you could put together a pi to use zigbee2mqtt. Will effectively be a homemade gateway.

An raspberry device with a conbee ?

Maybe i should go the raspberry way :wink:

A CC2530 with ESP2866 and zigbee2mqtt.

Hubitat with the new custom component.
Don’t know where you are if it’s available in your country.
AUS? Then yes.

This looks nice!

@godfatheroo7 if you’re still looking into this I assembled this module and it works very well:

It’s a sonoff basic (acting as power source and wifi bridge) connected to a CC2530.

I used the new zigbee to tasmota module, which depends on the zigbee2mqtt stack and relays on tasmota to bridge to wifi.

There’s a much easier flashing method in this video:

which is for a 2531, however the process is exactly the same for a 2530 except for using the correct zstack and pinout.
The pinout is available in this article:

The main advantae is offcourse portability, but additionaly you dont have to set up additional software in your server as the tasmota bin communicates directly via mqtt.

1 Like

Depending on wireless or wired connection requirements;

• You can go with xiaomi mija zigbee gateway, root it, install openwrt/zigbee2mqtt or attach directly to zha
  • there are also some methods to hack tuya gateways and use them with same idea.
  • or you can build one from scratch with raspberry pi and usb stick

All off these would enable to create a secondary zigbee network without extending the initial network range. Please share if you know more options to have network based zigbee gateways

With

This is what you want!

https://www.digiblur.com/2020/07/how-to-use-sonoff-zigbee-bridge-with.html.

It has 2 modes, bridge mode that allows ZHA to connect directly to zigbee chip over TCP.

I use the other mode where it is a standalone gateway that does all the zigbee stuff and exposes MQTT events, some of the events need some complex rules to to read the various change states. I use node-red to simply that.

1 Like

Personally i use LAN Coordinator.
Best option if you keep you SYSTEM on virtual machine or on a remote server.