SunGrow Inverters

Hey Gobbler Guy,

I’m here in Melbourne, have the SH5K inverter and 10Kw LG chem battery. I havent been able to set up monitoring for the inverter , ( havent really tried that hard ) - what is involved in getting the parameters into HA?

As for Forced charging, do this via the control panel ( until you figure out how to remote control the settings!!)…

In Melbourne, I can charge the battery mid week, off peak from 2am til 5am at 2Kw
This can take the charge up to around 60% depending on residual charge. Off peak rate is 19c KwH.
then when peak starts at 6am, battery starts to discharge and runs the house at 34c KwH until the sun comes up. This very minor saving works out to about $3- $4 a week. Not much, but in my mind, Im sticking it to the energy supplier… It may well reduce the life of the Battery as well… anyways

Oh, and from the Origin Energy website:
About This Manual (originenergy.com.au)

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for advice on forced charge. I’ll give it a crack!

I used the code from M Kaiser at GitHub:

I note that this has progressed since I first used it and now looks like it has some forced charge options. I’ll have no time to try that anything soon but in the mean time your info will come in handy.

Anyone have any idea how to connect to my second inverter?

I’m not a great YAML programmer, but I can see you are still waiting on a response.

If you are using mkaiser’s code I linked to above then I think the simplest way would be to duplicate all the code but with the duplicate code referencing the IP address of the second inverter instead (create another secrets.yaml entry as well) and amending the names of sensors etc…systematically for the second inverter. Tedious! I’m happy for someone else to volunteer a more elegant approach.

Very possibly you need to connect via hardwired. the wifi modules don’t seem to support the full set of MODBUS commands…I’m still learning up though

I’m just installed this: Only 2 entities for SG2.0RS-S inverter · Issue #49 · MickMake/GoSungrow · GitHub

But my main problem is that the data is only pushed every 5 minutes, so there is no live data coming from this one. Which makes some of my automations based on production etc useless.

In the meantime are there any better solutions? The integration above uses the wifi module on the inverter which connects with isolarcloud. He connects to that platform via an API. It seems to work great, but the 5 minute interval is bothering me

Did you find a way to achieve it?

hi,

some guys told me, that they already successfully modified the modbus_sungrow.yaml link1 link2

Doing this is still an open issue… I want to do some more restructuring first, but I am lacking time. So if anyone could help this would be great :slight_smile:

if you were all getting a new solar and battery system and wanted to control it via Home Assistant (set/disable exports etc, set charge rates of battery ) would you go sungrow, fronius or tesla?

Thank you

One year ago I did my research here and in other places and went with Huawei. The inverter is connected via a Mobus-to-TCP Converter and integration in Home Assistant works flawlessly. The biggest non-HA issue I have with the inverter is the fact that it does not offer a device-side web interface. A device that’s supposed to work for 20+ years shouldn’t rely on an Android app which presumably isn’t maintained for long.

Btw the Huawei offers many settings around battery charge rates etc, but I did not add a battery to mine.

I can’t speak for Sungrow. Looking forward to other comments.

Thanks very much. The wev I terrace for sungrow and fronius I know are good. Will def check out Huawei!

I just remembered why I opted against Sungrow.

The Sungrow SG inverters series is not supported by the HA integration.

HI all,
I am using the Sungrow inverters and the modbus integration.
A great deal of information and lots of tweaking possible with the batteries.
I like it. :slight_smile: