SunStat Connect Away Mode options

Good afternoon,
I have a Watts SunStat ConnectPlus+ thermostat in my master bathroom that controls the heated flooring under the bathroom tiles. This product is integrated into Alexa, but poorly. Ideally I could set up a routine that recognizes no one is home from Home Assistant (person/phones), and then set the thermostat into away mode, but I an’t seem to set an action on the Watts Alexa integration.

Which leads me to my question. The device itself has a replay input to put the device into Away mode, so it’s not heating the floor while away. Problem is, I can’t figure out how to do that. The directions are poor at best. They simply state the following for Home Automation:

Home Automation System Rough-in Wiring
A short or 24 VAC applied between the AWAY and COM terminals will switch the thermostat into ‘Away’ mode.

There is no suggestion of products or anything that can provide this input. I was looking at the Zooz 700 Series Z-Wave Plus Dry Contact Relay ZEN51 as a possible option, but that would put out 120 VAC, not low voltage 24 VAC.

Does anyone know of a low voltage Z-Wave relay that would do the trick, or possible another solution to my problem?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone? I’ve been struggling trying to figure this one out without luck.

Hello! Just came across your post. Looking at the ZEN51, it should work for your application.

The device itself needs to be powered via 120v across the L and N wires.
The yellow wire can be used as a manual control by putting a switch between it and black (L), which can then be acted upon in HA.
the blue and red wires are the dry relay wires. There’s no voltage applied to them by the ZEN51. they’re simply linked together or disconnected. This would be your “short”.

Thank you! I’ll take a look at that. Hopefully that will solve my problem!

@jdarmst, big thank you.

I reached out to Zooz support, and after a few days, they agreed with you that the Zen51 should work. I ordered it yesterday, and it got here today, and I installed it. It works exactly the way it should. I’ve only been trying to figure this out for about 6 months now.

Sorry to revive this post, but my contractor wants to install this model for my bathroom floor. What kind of functionality do you have with the Zen51 installed? Also, a year and some change on: would you recommend a different setup?

The Zen51 allows me to set it it to Away mode, plain and simple. Without the relay, there is no way that I could figure out that would allow me to switch to away mode through automation.

Yes, I would recommend the relay. The only thing I would recommend is make sure your contractor provide sufficient room in the gang box for both the controller and the relay. Mine is rather cramped.