Supervise installation - custom_components not working

I made fresh Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS. installation. Then run Home Assistant Supervised installation script described here https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/#alternative-install-home-assistant-supervised-on-a-generic-linux-host/
After installation everything is working fine. Addons ecosystem is running correctly. But… I cant use any custom_components.

what custom components have you tried and what did you do to install/configure them?

why do you say they aren’t working?

If you are using Home Assistant Supervised then you have installed it on a computer with an existing Linux operating system. It implies you have installed the underlying operating system and know the password to its root account.

When you install Home Assistant Supervised, it runs as the root account and all directories created and files installed belong to the root account.

If you wish to create a custom_component directory or copy a file into an existing directory (created by the installer), you will need to use an account with root-level permissions.

For my own convenience, to avoid having to login as root, or to prepend sudo to every cp, mv, or nano command, I executed the following command (once). Replace the word account_name with the name of whatever user account you normally use to login to the machine.

sudo setfacl -R -m u:account_name:rwx /usr/share/hassio

It grants your account read/write/execute permissions to all directories and files in /usr/share/hassio.

NOTE:
I don’t use Home Assistant’s ssh and samba add-ons. I chose to install them as native services in the operating system (Ubuntu).

EDIT
Removed extraneous space character from setfacl command.

1 Like

@finity

Package configuration setup failed. Component lovelace_gen Integration ‘lovelace_gen’ not found.
Component error: hacs - Integration ‘hacs’ not found.
Component error: browser_mod - Integration ‘browser_mod’ not found.

@123 In your answer is one space to much:
sudo setfacl -R -m u:account_name :rwx /usr/share/hassio
but this not helps to load components. I chanmged SMB from hassio addon to ubuntu one and shared /usr/share/hassio I added new smb user and give permission like described above. Copied all folders, and of course this is not working. Description from log above

It was offered to you for the purpose that I had explained, namely that I used it to permit my account, which doesn’t have root permissions, to access files owned by root. It’s a matter of convenience. Home Assistant Supervised already runs as root and has access to all files.

Component lovelace_gen Integration ‘lovelace_gen’ not found.

Your original question referred to custom components but this message is reporting the inability to load one of Home Assistant’s standard components. It suggests there are more fundamental problems here.

GitHub - thomasloven/hass-lovelace_gen: 🔹 Improve the lovelace yaml parser for Home Assistant dont think that this is standard component. With addons there is no problem at all. I wrote here this topic because Supervised on Ubuntu is one of supported so should work.

While Home Assistant Supervised can be run on practically any Linux systems, the Home Assistant project limits support for this installation method.

Only the use of Debian or Ubuntu is supported.

I tested standard Ubuntu installation form scratch (one on phisical maschine and one on virtualized) and there is issue with custom_components in both cases. After fresh install I make steps described here:
Installation - Home Assistant

If people with the supervised installation trying to figure out where to copy over custom components find this thread, I was able to install to create a custom_components directory under

/usr/share/hassio/homeassistant

and copy over the component directories there and have them show up in the UI after a restart of the HA container.