Supervised Homeassistant install not on Debian

I have been using Home Assistant for a few years started with a raspberry pi but had a few problems so early last year swopped to a HP T610 thin client, OS Ubuntu and Home assistant running in Docker (found a script on github that just did everything).
Everything worked perfectly.
Then I started to get your system is unhealthy notifications and couldn’t update Home Assistant, I tried to install Debian on a HP T620 and a Dell thin client with zero success, so using the age old fix for anything IT I turned my HP T610 off and on again. When it came back up the unhealthy message had gone and I was able to upgrade.
This has worked 2 times so far with upgrades so thought I would share. The message does come back at some point BTW.
Anyone reading this that is able to fix this work around in Home Assistant please don’t :smiley:

hello
start here:

Anything but Debian is unsupported, as documented here:

Rebooting the host usually fixes the “unhealthy” status…until it doesn’t.
When it won’t fix it will be as arbitrary as it triggering.

You should move off of any Supervised installation not on Debian. And frankly, my opinion, you should move off of any Supervised installation period while you’re at it.

1 Like

Agreed.

I don’t agree with this one. A Supervised installation is fine. All my HA’s run this way.

I have eventually got Debian Supervised installed on a UDOO x86 Advanced it was not as straight forward and the guide would suggest. (Docker doesn’t install correctly using the guide ).
Could someone point me at a guide to install addons on a non supervised Home Assistant and I will have a go at setting that up. I have a spare thin client machine to put it on. So I can run in parallel and compare.

No official addons for non supervised install. You need to install either the components manually via internet search or find docker containers you again install manually.

I did use the non supervised install for a bit then found how to install supervised on an x86 and do prefer that solution.
I will investigate how to setup non supervised as soon as I can, just in case that is the only way I will be able to continue to use Home Assistant as I have invested quite a bit of time and money on my current setup and it would be a bit of a disaster if it all stopped working.

a quick guide:
u need the addon ‘portainer’:
1 -pull and run portainer container https://hub.docker.com/r/portainer/portainer
2- use iframe pannel, to get the web front end, in homeassistant https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/panel_iframe/
done.
and read my first post (link) to move your data.the guy on the post did what u want to do.

and last thing: the /config folder is all: u can move, switch, remove, delette, update… your H-A container, this is not a problem. all you have to do is to save and mount the /config folder in your container (and why not do a cron job to copy/ save it elsewhere )

in your docker-compose:

version: '3'
services:
 homeassistant:
   container_name: home-assistant
   image: homeassistant/home-assistant:stable
   volumes:
     - /PATH_TO_YOUR_CONFIG:/config     ######<--------mount /config
   environment:
     - TZ=America/New_York
   restart: always
   network_mode: host