Supervised on VMware v6.7.0 U3

I have installed Debian server x64 in a VMware v6.7.0 U3 virtual machine, Xeon 6126 cpu, 256GB RAM, RAID Hardware Storage SSD Enterprise, 10GB Network Interface

Until now I was using Home Assistant v2022 where I had the Add-ons section, but I saw and read that to do it I had to have Home Assistant Supervised

I have installed Home Assistant Supervised in Debian, the installation has finished, but from my web client it tells me: Preparing Home Assistant, (this can take up to 20 minutes) and it takes 3 hours

There is server power, a lot.
The installed version is v1.5.1

Thank you

Best Regards

Whatever you read, it was wrong.

If you want add-ons the correct install method is Home Assistant OS. Supervised is a trap.

Sorry Tinkerer,

What do you mean when you say it’s a trap??

Many people like to claim that Supervised is the best method, because you get add-ons and the ability to do what you want.

You don’t. The requirements are very strict and if you don’t know what you’re doing (and even if you do) it’s easy enough to end up with a broken install.

It is just Home Assistant OS where you swap out the managed OS for a very precisely configured (and maintained since the requirements change without warning) Debian install.

i also set up a debian machine, and decided i wanted supervised (as it is handy and easy with addons etc).

However, it also limited my options with debian, as the supervisor will take over the machine, and won’t allow you to do anything besides running HA (which is what i didn’t want, i wanted to use the machine for a lot of other things🤔).

So i un-installed it, and set up a HAos on a vmware (still with debian as host).
That enabled me to run HA supervised, and use the (debian) host as i see fit :wink:

Another benefit of running vmware is the use of snapshots, makes live a lot easier when trying upgrades or other stuff in HA; with just a click it will be back in the previous (working) state :grin:

So my advice: if you want a supervised system, set up HAos as a virtual machine and use the host as you see fit.

1 Like

Your problem might be related to network issues.
The installation needs internet access to get elements from GitHub.
Sometimes GitHub can be the cause too, because it can throttle your connection or even pause it and it can last for hours or maybe even a day.

I run a HA Supervised installation and I agree with the others.
You really need to know what you are doing and what HA demands too maintain it.
The HA demands will limit the functionality and might prevent some of your use cases.
If you are not certain before-hand what you are going to use the Debian OS for with a Supervised installation, then a Debian OS with a hypervisor and HAOS as a VM is a better option.

Thank you guys for your comments
I have been installed HAOS OVA on my VMware
Runs ok, with add-ons :grinning:
The installation is freshly done and with minimal configuration. I want check add-ons
Some complements or add-ons do not work correctly such as NodeRed or Advanced SSH & Web Terminal
The error in both cases is Bad Gateway 502 :thinking:

I will look for information about this in the community

That means it’s not running.

The logs for each should tell you why.