Supervisor - external access (yes, I know)

I’m trying to access the /api/hassio/backups/ endpoint.

It looks like I can only get access using the Supervisor token if I am coming from within the Docker network and accessing 172.30.232.2

Without adding socat somewhere, how can I get Supervisor access?

I question the value of having a REST API that is so limited. I understand the push to create addons but I want to integrate Home Assistant with the rest of my network, not the other way around.

The Supervisor really is mostly about providing infrastructure to support Home Assistant Core. The API’s main users are the Core and the Add-ons today. What is your use case to control it from outside?

By default the Supervisor is not accessible on a public IP. But there is an add-on named remote_api in the development repository which forwards the port using socat and allows access remotely. The add-on will print the token in the logs. See also: addons-development/remote_api at master · home-assistant/addons-development · GitHub

However, this is really meant for development and probably impractical for real world use since you’d have to update the token manually.

You’d need to create a custom add-on and expose the things you want on the public API and also make sure you have an authentication mechanism.

1 Like

I have created a bit of a Rube Goldberg backup system, but accessing the /backup endpoint is good because I can run a script on another system that downloads all existing backup tar files and then removes the ones I’ve got backed up separately.

I also want to enable automatic updating of OS components and addons, but I’ll try one of the blueprints for that first.