Supervisor panel missing on Docker/Synology DSM

Hi,
I have a docker installation of HA, but I don’t have supervisor panel.
Running v 2021.1.5 on Docker (on Synology DSM)
How can I enable it?

1 Like

You don’t, you get that with the Home Assistant OS (or Supervised) install methods.

1 Like

Hi Tiago,
I encountered exactly the same problem when I started testing HA a few days ago (I’m a HA Newbie). After a great deal of searching I found that the problem seems to be due to the version of Docker that Synology currently bundles with DSM. There are some ‘hacks’ to get around the problem which are fully covered in this excellent YouTube video:
(11) Home Assistant How To - workaround for Hassio on Synology - YouTube

I wasn’t too keen on applying temporary ‘fixes’ to my setup and at this stage I was very tempted to try OpenHAB instead. However I then found another excellent article (link below) of how to install HA on the Virtual Machine Manager that is built into some models of Synology NAS’s (which it was on mine).
Link:
https://gh2home.nl/homeassistant/install-home-assistant-in-a-virtual-machine-vmm/

My installation within Synology’s VMM seems to be working perfectly and it also offers the added bonus of being able to create automatic snapshot backups. If your Synology model offers VMM I would certainly recommend trying it out.

1 Like

Thanks for the useful information.

I have VVM support on my Synology but I’m not too keen to start all over again.

Maybe one day.

Do you see as a Newbie (I am as well) advantages of using that installation?

Everything you can do in a supervisor based install can be done with the docker version of HA. The difference is in a docker install you are the supervisor. If you want an MQTT broker, you setup the docker container yourself and link it to HA. If you want OZW 1.6, you setup a docker container yourself and link it to HA (over MQTT). If you want Nodered, same thing. Most supervisor add-ons can be run in their own container and configured by you.

Just look at my setup (link in my signature) I run a number of docker containers, what would be add-ons in the supervisor, I just manage them on my own and run HA container.

1 Like

Hi Tiago,

I hear what squirtbrnr is saying about being the supervisor in a Docker installation of HA but it sounds like any additions involve setting up each one in a Docker container & then linking back to HA.
If possible I would certainly have preferred to run my HA within Docker as I’m also using it for other programs (such as running my Unifi controller 24/7) with great success. However after installing HA using Synology’s VMM all I can say is that it seems to behave perfectly with the Supervisor tab visible and add-ins able to be added with a simple click. Furthermore HA is using very little additional resources on my NAS.

I would strongly recommend giving it a test as, once ported over, you also have the in-built ability within HA to take / restore snapshots.

If nothing else just run up a VMM following the instructions and see what it’s like to help you decide which is better.

1 Like

Just curious, what are that many useful addons with HACS for example?

Running under a Synology VMM all the Official add-ons & the Home Assistant Community Add-ons are all readily available (under Supervisor, Add-on Store). Although I’ve added a few of the official add-ons the only one under the Home Assistant Community Add-ons that I’ve installed (as yet) is the Visual Studio Code which is really excellent.

From a newbie point I’m trying to follow many of the excellent YouTube tutorials and I just find the fact that my HomeAssistant looks / acts like a ‘normal’ RaspberryPi installation really helpful rather than having to resort to install these add-ons via separate Docker containers.

Just an FYI, following YouTube tutorials may be a good place to get started, but even if someone releases a tutorial today, it may be outdated in a week, and completely unhelpful in a matter of months. The better place to start would be any of the official documentation and the forums sorted by latest post/date and do a little light reading.

1 Like

Many thanks for your suggestions regarding the best places to get up to speed with Home Assistant. I fully appreciate that HA remains under active software development which could quickly render older tutorials useless. Indeed I’d deliberately ignored older ones and stuck with ones which are less than 3 months old. Although more appropriate for my noob level I’ve found the series of videos by Hive Mind Automation to be perfectly paced for me.

My mode of learning does involve using the official documentation and forums (as you can see here!) along with real-world ‘hands on’ testing. However I find some YouTube videos an excellent supplement to illustrate points which can be hard to assimilate directly from the official documentation - especially as a new starter.

1 Like

I absolutely agree. I’ve used that learning approach for some things myself. I’ve just seen it many times someone saying “I followed tutorial XYZ on youtube, but it doesn’t work” and come to find out it was a tutorial from like a year ago and absolutely it wouldn’t work because some subsystem of HA or an integration or even the way to connect to a device had been reworked since then.

1 Like