Support all HomeKit media receiver types

Recently, an addition to the HomeKit bridge added support for media receivers exported from Home Assistant to Apple Home. E.g. using device_class: receiver previously exported no known “Category ID” to HomeKit and tv had to be used. Now receiver is hardcoded to use 34.

This is a welcome change but HomeKit also provides two more categories that are more suitable in some cases:

• Set-Top Box: 35
  • Streaming Stick: 36

It would be welcome to make this configurable. I’ve never contributed to Home Assistant (yet, kinda new to it) but I guess it is not so straightforward as one might think as receiver currently maps to category ID 34 and I guess it is not helpful to add more types for the device_class? E.g. receiver_hk_set_top_box, receiver_hk_streaming_stick. But given that TVs/receivers need to be their own bridge, maybe there can be a per-bridge setting that controls how receivers are being exported?

Happy to talk about this!

Cheers!

As a new user I couldn’t put more than two links: Image and info source: Streaming stick and set-top box added to HomeKit in iOS 14 GM build - HomeKit Authority.