Support for Acurite Weather sensors

any update on that projet acurite will close the hub server and many user will need to find solution

I never did get it to work directly with HA. I use Weewx and display that on a separate web page.

Hi, like @budman1758 i use Weewx on my installation, if you like to integrate it in HA there is a nice plugin you can use to send Weewx data over MQTT (https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/mqtt) and you can use the MQTT sensor in HA to display the data, maybe something like this:

- platform: mqtt
  state_topic: 'weewx_base_topic/outTemp_C'
  name: 'Temperatura exterior'
  unit_of_measurement: '°C'
  value_template: '{{ value|round(1) }}'
  state_topic: 'weewx_base_topic/outHumidity'
  name: 'Humedad exterior'
  unit_of_measurement: '%'
  state_topic: 'weewx_base_topic/barometer_mbar'
  name: 'Barometro'
  unit_of_measurement: 'mbar'
  state_topic: 'weewx_base_topic/UV'
  name: 'Indice uv'
  state_topic: 'weewx_base_topic/windSpeed_kph'
  name: 'Velocidad del viento'
  unit_of_measurement: 'km/h'
  value_template: '{{ value|round(2) }}'
  state_topic: 'weewx_base_topic/windDir'
  name: 'dirección del viento'
  unit_of_measurement: '°'
  state_topic: 'weewx_base_topic/rain24_cm'
  name: 'lluvia (24h)'
  unit_of_measurement: 'cm'
  state_topic: 'weewx_base_topic/rainRate_cm_per_hour'
  name: 'intensidad de precipitaciones'
  unit_of_measurement: 'cm/h'
  state_topic: 'weewx_base_topic/dateTime'
  name: 'última actualización'

HTH :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m in the process of finishing up something that does what weewx is doing but just does the acurite->mqtt conversion. It’s working for me fine locally but I need to add some docs and some additional config options before publishing it. It would be like weewx in that it’s a separate server process that reads json data from rtl-433 and converts it to mqtt but that’s all it does (smaller and simpler if you don’t need full weather station software set). If anyone’s interested, let me know and I’ll add a link to the repo when it’s up.

Hi guys,

Would like to thank you all for the assistance.

I have a Fine Offset WH2900 WiFi weather station
http://www.foshk.com/Wifi_Weather_Station/WH2950.html

I have used my router to phish the ip address of rtupdate.wunderground.com to point to my pi running HA and pihole and weewx with the weewx-interceptor extension.
Added the weewx-mqtt reporter and the HA config from above and I know have indoor temp/humidity as part of my HA.
weewx also reports to Weather Underground, so all data is still there as well.
Now i can improve my AC, by turning it on/off from HA and monitoring the actual indoor temp, instead of the in ceiling return air temp.
Perhaps even dynamically calculate the turn on time, based on difference between outside temp and inside temp, so it gets to temp when I want it to me.

I am interested in how you got this to work.

While not a final solution, I’ve been messing around with Acuparse. It intercepts the data sent from the Acurite SmartHub or Access bridge devices and stores/displays that data. You can then forward that data on to one of several external cloud services including MyAcurite, WeatherUnderground, CWOP, PWS Weather and Weather Cloud.

It also has a JSON output that could be used (in theory) to create a Home Assistant component to provide weather data to HA without ever pushing the data to the cloud, allowing you to keep your weather data private. I haven’t had an opportunity to look into developing a new component to provide the final link with HA, but hope to be able to do that before WU breaks at the end of the year.

1 Like

Hey, did you ever get anywhere on this? I sure would like to see some way to pull data from Acuparse into Home Assistant if possible… I just lack the skills myself. :slight_smile:

Yes, I do have a custom component working. I’ll try to get it uploaded to github to share it.

You can also use REST sensors for Towers. Here is an example of one that I have setup, the URL would be to your Acuparse server, and replace 10277 with the tower_id:

- platform: rest
  resource: http://acuparse.taylor/?json_tower&sensor=10277
  name: Car Port
  value_template: '{{ value_json["tempF"] }}'
  unit_of_measurement: °F
  json_attributes:
    - relH

Great! I am looking forward to the github upload and any info!

Here is a link to the acuparse sensor that I created. I have not tested with the latest release of HA or Acuparse. It is currently working with Acuparse v2.8.0-release, and HA 0.92.2. The current version does require installing an additional file on the Acuparse server as well as installing and configuring the custom_component in HA.

Edit: tested with Acuparse v2.9.0-release and HA 0.93.1

Just curious, I went about setting this up, and in the configuration.yaml you have it listed to use " api_key: YOUR_API_KEY"… which key is this? Thanks in advance!

Sorry, that was a typo in my documentation that I just corrected. In my environment, my Acuparse server is ‘acuparse’ (http://acuparse), and here is my config:

sensor:
    - platform: acuparse
      hostname: acuparse
      monitored_conditions:
       - temp
       - temp_trend
       - temp_high
       - temp_high_time
       - temp_low
       - temp_low_time
       - feels
       - relh
       - relh_trend
       - pressure_trend
       - pressure_inhg
       - wind_mph
       - wind_dir
       - wind_deg
       - rain_rate_in
       - rain_total_in_today

With some cleanup in my configuration.yaml, I have it all working great! Thanks a zillion!

Dave Thompson over at Desert-Home.com did a twelve part series on the Acurite 5n1 and how it works and how to intercept the 433 Mhz data. He has all the code published on his GitHub repository.
His “adventures” are well worth the read.

Just a heads up for anyone else searching, I was able to read a Acurite sensor with a RTL-SDR dongle on the same machine running hass and get it into the system with a command line sensor really easily. Command and config shown here.

Any further updates on this?

I’ve been using rtl_433. I was using a python script to pull the data then fire it off to MQTT but newer versions can now send to MQTT directly. More info here:

Since there was nothing available I decided to implement something. I bought a LILYGO T3_v1.6.1 433MHz board which has a SX1278 and an ESP32. I have it working. If anyone wants to give it a try I can put the ESPHome component up on GitHub.

FYI I put my ESPHome component here (example yaml and instructions):

https://github.com/swoboda1337/acurite-esphome

Need a 433 MHz board, I recommend this one:

https://www.lilygo.cc/en-ca/products/lora3
1 Like