Support for Acurite Weather sensors

Would like to see support for Acurite sensors. These work on 433mhz radio frequencies.
A receiver could be attached to a Raspberry Pi to receive the data. Don’t know if this is already possible with other components or not.

Something like this one

I live in an RV and one of the things I am trying to accomplish is to have my electric awning roll up when the wind gets to high. I already have the connections and relays figured out. Just need to create an event to fire the relay at a specific wind speed.

It would also be nice to have the weather data for your exact location displayed on the HA screen. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Have you tried connecting your 5in1 to WeatherUnderground? You can then use HA’s WU support and specify the reporting station. That’s how I’m doing it now.

Of course this means you need to send your WX data to the cloud, but since Acurite moved over to their new methods, it’s much harder to get the data locally if you’re using their bridge/hub.

Another way to go would be this: http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Home

I found this program and have running on my setup now. Easy and worked right out of the box.
http://www.weewx.com/. This can feed data just about anywhere you need.

Now its just a matter of getting the wind data in as close to real-time and have it fire a relay for rolling up my awning. Haven’t got that far as my code writing skills are pretty much non-existent. :fearful:

The accurate sensor transmits wind data every 18 seconds. I suppose its just a matter of having a listener running to grab the data and translate it to a command for the relay if said data is above a certain threshold but I have no idea where to go for that yet. I’m pretty good on the hardware side but software coding is quite like writing a foreign language I neither speak or understand. :confounded:

Thanks, I’ll take a look at this.

Finally got a chance to look into this closer but it’s not going to work for me because I don’t use the USB connection to the PC; I have a Acurite smart hub. Pretty bummed that I can only use it with USB… :cry:

Look here for a link to using rf receivers to interface with Accurite.

1 Like

Cool, thanks. Looks like something I will have to give a serious read to when I get a little more time - thanks for sharing it with me. I really would like to use weewx.

@budman1758 @rpitera

I saw the AcuRite Digital Weather Station with Wireless Outdoor Sensor at my local Lowes for $10 and might go pick up one. How did you end up getting it setup to work with HA?

any update on that projet acurite will close the hub server and many user will need to find solution

I never did get it to work directly with HA. I use Weewx and display that on a separate web page.

Hi, like @budman1758 i use Weewx on my installation, if you like to integrate it in HA there is a nice plugin you can use to send Weewx data over MQTT (https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/mqtt) and you can use the MQTT sensor in HA to display the data, maybe something like this:

- platform: mqtt
  state_topic: 'weewx_base_topic/outTemp_C'
  name: 'Temperatura exterior'
  unit_of_measurement: '°C'
  value_template: '{{ value|round(1) }}'
  state_topic: 'weewx_base_topic/outHumidity'
  name: 'Humedad exterior'
  unit_of_measurement: '%'
  state_topic: 'weewx_base_topic/barometer_mbar'
  name: 'Barometro'
  unit_of_measurement: 'mbar'
  state_topic: 'weewx_base_topic/UV'
  name: 'Indice uv'
  state_topic: 'weewx_base_topic/windSpeed_kph'
  name: 'Velocidad del viento'
  unit_of_measurement: 'km/h'
  value_template: '{{ value|round(2) }}'
  state_topic: 'weewx_base_topic/windDir'
  name: 'dirección del viento'
  unit_of_measurement: '°'
  state_topic: 'weewx_base_topic/rain24_cm'
  name: 'lluvia (24h)'
  unit_of_measurement: 'cm'
  state_topic: 'weewx_base_topic/rainRate_cm_per_hour'
  name: 'intensidad de precipitaciones'
  unit_of_measurement: 'cm/h'
  state_topic: 'weewx_base_topic/dateTime'
  name: 'última actualización'

HTH :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m in the process of finishing up something that does what weewx is doing but just does the acurite->mqtt conversion. It’s working for me fine locally but I need to add some docs and some additional config options before publishing it. It would be like weewx in that it’s a separate server process that reads json data from rtl-433 and converts it to mqtt but that’s all it does (smaller and simpler if you don’t need full weather station software set). If anyone’s interested, let me know and I’ll add a link to the repo when it’s up.

Hi guys,

Would like to thank you all for the assistance.

I have a Fine Offset WH2900 WiFi weather station
http://www.foshk.com/Wifi_Weather_Station/WH2950.html

I have used my router to phish the ip address of rtupdate.wunderground.com to point to my pi running HA and pihole and weewx with the weewx-interceptor extension.
Added the weewx-mqtt reporter and the HA config from above and I know have indoor temp/humidity as part of my HA.
weewx also reports to Weather Underground, so all data is still there as well.
Now i can improve my AC, by turning it on/off from HA and monitoring the actual indoor temp, instead of the in ceiling return air temp.
Perhaps even dynamically calculate the turn on time, based on difference between outside temp and inside temp, so it gets to temp when I want it to me.

I am interested in how you got this to work.

While not a final solution, I’ve been messing around with Acuparse. It intercepts the data sent from the Acurite SmartHub or Access bridge devices and stores/displays that data. You can then forward that data on to one of several external cloud services including MyAcurite, WeatherUnderground, CWOP, PWS Weather and Weather Cloud.

It also has a JSON output that could be used (in theory) to create a Home Assistant component to provide weather data to HA without ever pushing the data to the cloud, allowing you to keep your weather data private. I haven’t had an opportunity to look into developing a new component to provide the final link with HA, but hope to be able to do that before WU breaks at the end of the year.

1 Like

Hey, did you ever get anywhere on this? I sure would like to see some way to pull data from Acuparse into Home Assistant if possible… I just lack the skills myself. :slight_smile:

Yes, I do have a custom component working. I’ll try to get it uploaded to github to share it.

You can also use REST sensors for Towers. Here is an example of one that I have setup, the URL would be to your Acuparse server, and replace 10277 with the tower_id:

- platform: rest
  resource: http://acuparse.taylor/?json_tower&sensor=10277
  name: Car Port
  value_template: '{{ value_json["tempF"] }}'
  unit_of_measurement: °F
  json_attributes:
    - relH

Great! I am looking forward to the github upload and any info!

Here is a link to the acuparse sensor that I created. I have not tested with the latest release of HA or Acuparse. It is currently working with Acuparse v2.8.0-release, and HA 0.92.2. The current version does require installing an additional file on the Acuparse server as well as installing and configuring the custom_component in HA.

Edit: tested with Acuparse v2.9.0-release and HA 0.93.1

Just curious, I went about setting this up, and in the configuration.yaml you have it listed to use " api_key: YOUR_API_KEY"… which key is this? Thanks in advance!