Support for Dutch Smart Meter

I’ve uploaded the code to github. The repository also contains a hardware schema that shows how to invert the serial signal from the smart meter.

If you’re, like me, not a hardware expert (someone else fixed the hardware part for me) I can post some additional pictures of the ESP module (front/back).

1 Like

Hi David,
Two weeks ago Fluvius installed my smart meter (Sagemcom S211). I bought online a P1 to USB cable (https://webshop.cedel.nl/Slimme-meter-kabel-P1-naar-USB) and I have connect it to my RPi3 on which Hassio is running. In my config file I added following:

sensor:

• platform: dsmr
    port: /dev/ttyUSB1
    dsmr_version: 5

But no readings apear. How can I be sure to use the correct port as I’ve also connect a Deconz Zigbee dongle to my RPi3?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards

@adjan that totally depends on your system. If your running from windows/mac or linux the path will be different. What system are you running? do you use docker?

I’m using hassio installed on a RPi3

Excellent, thank you for posting.
If you could add some pictures like you offered that would be nice, I’m not a hardware guy either so I try to full understand what did.
Especially the connections on the RX. On the picture you posted I could not tell where the rx cable goes. But that could be completely me :smiley:

Tnx, again.
Passie

@passie I’ve seen a lot of people using the software solution (using the SoftwareSerial library) to invert the signal. The guy who fixed my Wemos board didn’t like the software solution, he wanted to use the hardware UART. I didn’t want to use an external power supply so we decided to get the power straight from the Smart Meter. My meter can deliver 300ma but that’s not always the case. If you smart meter cannot deliver enough power you may experience strange behaviour especially when the unit uses the WiFi to send the data to your MQTT broker (sending data using WiFi connection requires more power). In that case you have to use an external power supply with the board.

Below are some pictures of the board / soldering.

eb9dd760-ea0b-4f2d-bb15-b784a497c745

bac3462d-a8a4-4fd3-9fab-3c79b478b856 5d049b49-6078-4a12-8ff7-135d38bf4d8d

2 Likes

Excellent, I’ll order some components on aliexpress to test your setup on my own device/smart meter.
Since it can take some time delivering from China i’m unable to give you feedback right away.
Keep you posted though om my findings.

Regards,
Passie

@passie I’m glad to help you. I’m curious if it will work on your meter so I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

@RezzZ I’m using HassOS to be more precise

Problem solved, cable was faulty and everything is working fine except for the gas consumption (see original post by @davidvf

Hi,

Just got my P1 cable from [http://www.smartmeterdashboard.nl/webshop]. I have the P1 converter cable V3) and have setup my home assistant system with the following code:

• platform: dsmr
    port: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00
    dsmr_version: 5

My hardware:
RP hardware

My electrical meter is a XS210 ESMR5 from Sageman.

I can see the all the sensors, but the values remain “unknown”. I have also tried selecting the other serial port, but that does not work either.

Any idea’s?

For everybody who can’t find the folder /dev/serial/by-id/xxxxxxx, I had the same problem, all I had to do is shutdown the host system (I’ve got a PI4) and start it again.

for everyone experiencing an ‘unknown’ for ‘gas hourly consumption’ since upgrading to 117.0 : there’s an issue on Github for this. Solution will be available on 117.1

(so you guys don’t have to search for hours like me with countless restarts of HA, Docker and Synology NAS… ) :sweat_smile:

I would appreciate help or feedback from you guys on how to integrate a Kaifa E0003 DSMR (4?) with HA. The idea is to capture my electricity and gas consumption, and also energy uploaded from the solar panels.

In my setup the P1 port of this model is already used to connect the smart meter to a device from Eneco that feed back my energy readings to Eneco through internet.
I understand that there are splitter devices available that will allow another device to “spy” on the RS-232 communication between the smart meter and the Eneco WiFi device (e.g. https://www.robbshop.nl/p1-splitter-slimme-meter-iungo). But in addition to that splitter I then would also need another cable to connect it to USB, and the total cost then exceeds what I’m willing to pay for the integration at this point.

Questions:

1. In my setup, is reading the data from the meter/P1 port the only option to get it into HA?
  2. Is it possible to use e.g. a ESP32 to capture the data from the P1 port? The meter is far away from my HA server, so I in any case will have to use MQTT to upload it to HA.

Thanks…

€ 0,99 15% Off | Blel Hot RJ11 6P4C 2 Way Outlet Telefoon Jack Line Splitter Adapter Beige

€ 7,05 9% Off | Domoticz op Raspberry FTDI USB naar 6P6C 6P4C TTL Kabel voor Kaifa MA105 Iskra Kamstrup Landis Nederlandse Slimme Meter DSMR p1 Poort Kabel

The P1 to USb is not the cheapest on Ali, I choose this one because you can select by your meter brand/type.

If thats above your budget I would search for a cheaper hobby :joy:

Thanks for the links, I will look into it.
It’s not really about what I can afford, but rather how much value I put on having this info in the system. To me it falls in the category “informative”, interesting to look at from time to time. I’m new to this home automation thing, and as such priority goes out to setting up IP cams, RFID access at the garden gate, automating the blinds… that sort of thing.

Just to confirm… will a simple telephone line splitter do the trick in this case? Should I add diodes to prevent collisions screwing up the communication between the meter and the WiFi device when I connect the RPi (i.e. a third device to what is essentially two-device protocol) ?

Hi, hope this is the appropriate topic for the following.
I have installed DSMR sensor succesfully on a Pi 4, already for couple of months. Every run fine, until I decided to build Home Assistant up from the basis (without using Homey).

Now the problem, the DSMR integration is shown in the integrations page, contains 2 devices and 30 entities. Also data is coming through. However, looking in the log there are loads of CRC validation errors (more than 10.000 today)

It is also showing a telegram parsing error. I have checked all kind of fora already, but couldn’t find anything.

Combined two error logs in 1 since I’m new on the forum…

Anyone already stumbled upon this and knows how to solve it? Or maybe know what steps to take to identify the cause?

Really don’t have a clue…

Yes, simple telephone splitter will do. Maybe you still have one from an old ADSL connection.

And Yes, most of the HomeAssistant extensions are more like hobby / playing then real live requirements. Spending days to get my PTZ camera point to the door, power-on the tv, cast live stream from camera to tv when someone ringing the doorbell just to come to the conclusion that it is really irritating :smile:

I still create useless automations just for fun, but there never enabled by default.

1 Like

I’ve got another HASS install that recently switched homes with a newer meter, which now is SMR 5.0 (not Belgian). I’ve updated the value in the config, but I get a few of these errors:

Invalid telegram. The CRC checksum '40563' does not match the expected '23158'
    Invalid telegram. The CRC checksum '33051' does not match the expected '39617'
    Invalid telegram. The CRC checksum '51040' does not match the expected '60985'
    Invalid telegram. The CRC checksum '9335' does not match the expected '45693'
    Invalid telegram. The CRC checksum '55946' does not match the expected '7388'

Any idea what’s wrong here? I also don’t see the DSMR integration in my panel… I removed it because I thought I had to maybe do that to get it working again, but it now refuses to show up.

Hello all I have a question with regards to the data from the dsmr. I have an iungo installation which provides all the data in a separate API through the mqtt broker I can get solar data even control zwave switches. I also get al the DSMR which I can read out in the MQTT explorer So I was wondering if I could possibly get that info into HA somehow. goal to create a card as shown on the DSMR sensor page of HA.

Thanks in advance

Anyone that can help me?