Support for Nest Protect

I tried to do this at first by doing a partial restore but I didn’t see anything about a custom component being restored. There was folders that I could restore perhaps it was in one of the folders? I didn’t really delve into it too much because my last backup was only 4 days ago so I very quickly able to do the changes that I did in the last 4 days

The same here. I recently started all over again with a fresh install. I have no more possibility to restore from a back up.

This solved it for me thanks :blush:

Will it work again. or is it dead

//Kim

Getting this error when trying to setup.

I’ve recently moved to Home Assistant and all of my devices (zwave, zigbee, hue mainly) have all migrated beautifully. So have the 3 Nest Protects that I currently have working through a Smartthings v2 hub using the old Nest API - as the Smartthings device handler that works with the Google API doesn’t support Nest Protects.

However, Smartthings are migrating from Groovy to Edge and I expect the device handler I have will soon break. I would therefore like to simplify things and integrate the Nest Protects directly with Home Assistant.

Reading into this thread, it would seem
a) that the preferred approach would have been to migrate to the Google API and use imick’s integration. But it has a (hopefully temporary) issue with Google’s authentication.
b) that the previous approach was to install the Homebridge plugin etc which also uses the Google API.

Does anyone know whether the Homebridge approach is affected by the Google authentication issue too? I’d be sad if I did the one way migration from the Nest to Google API and then got stuck again :frowning:

Or if I can somehow reuse the Nest API with a Home Assistant plugin? (I don’t think that is feasible)
Thanks

HomeBridge is currently functional! They did implement a cookie method (which is more hacky) and I didn’t found it user friendly enough, however unfortunately the most user friendly way is now blocked…

So in the future we need to migrate the custom component to such a way as well.

Hi imick
Before I irreversibly move away from the Nest API to the Google one, could I just confirm you are saying that Homebridge approach should still work (including authenticate properly)?
I hope the authentication with the new integration can be made to work as it sounds like the way to go.
regards
George

OK having proceeded with the Homebridge approach on a spare RPi, I can see my question was unnecessary as it caters for both Nest and Google accounts. But it works great and I have learned that I can retrieve the Nest access token from https://home.nest.com/session which I thought had been lost.
Home Assistant picks up the Homebridge server easily and I can see CO and Smoke but not battery, which would be useful, or presence.
Without getting into it too much more, grateful if someone could point out if I can access the battery status as well.
If not, hopefully the Google authentication issue can be resolved as that is the better solution. Sorry I don’t have the smarts to help with that.

I accidentally triggered my smoke alarm by steam from my shower, and I can share that the integration works on that part at least. (for me…).

Hopefully I can find some time in the coming weeks to look for alternative methods, but I am quite busy unfortunately.

1 Like

Just updated HA to 2022.11.3 and had the same issue as listed above:

Unable to prepare setup for platform nest_protect.select: Platform not found (Exception importing custom_components.nest_protect.select).

On reading above I note references to versions 0.3.9/10. My running version is 0.3.7 but I see no way of updating it…am I being stupid.

After a period of time all the entities simply started working again, however brightness is still not available.

Any advice?

@rossk how did you install the integration? If you use HACS, you can easily update. Otherwise you have to download the newest version from GitHub and replace it manually.

Thanks Mick, I installed via add ‘integration’ and not HACS so appear to have no way to update it as it does not show updates.

What was the “this” that ended up working for you?

Hello folks!

I forked ha-nest-protect and tried to add the cookie authentication.

Thank you @imick for the original code!

If someone wants to test it, it is here: GitHub - nicoinch/ha-nest-protect: Nest Protect integration for Home Assistant. This will allow you to integrate your smoke, heat, co and occupancy status real-time in HA.

I was able to test it with the cookie authentication method and 2 devices with battery. I was not able to test if it does not break the current refresh_token authentication.

8 Likes

That worked for me! Thanks so much

Great job, it works!

Thanks!!!

Great work! Would you be willing to do a pull request? I can plan some time coming weeks to review and see how we can incorporate your changes :).

3 Likes

That looks promising until I tried to add the integration. It still asks for an authentication token (and it still denies me)
Where do I put the issue_token and cookie then? It is not (clearly) described in the readme.