Support for Nest Protect

thanks very much for doing tihs!
question on security – does that cookie allow any service to log into that google account fully? or only grants access to your nest devices?

Confirmed V0.4.0b2 works for me

Krijg je ook werkelijke dat. Kreeg hier bij gourmet een rookalarm melding maar niks te zien in homeassistant.

Please report on GitHub. Which version do you run and was it a warning or a did your smoke alarm went off? Nest has 2 statuses, but if I am not mistaken, the integration only triggers on one of them.

This is quite hard to simulate, so having a diagnostics file (at the moment that it is triggered) will help a lot.

I got triggered smoke alarm now for the second time (I am using in kitchen/dinning room and sometimes I fry things with some smoke). I got warning from Nest and then the alarm was actually triggered, but no information about it in HA

Hi Everyone,

New-ish to Home Assistant and looking to add Smoke and CO2-detectors to my smart home. Thus I’ve been looking at the Nest Protect ones as options. FYI, I don’t use any other Nest products so far and home automation/smartification is currently limited to Hue Lights, some KlikAanKlikUit (433mHz) products and some very simple presence detection automation.

I’ve been reading as much as I can about Nest support/integration and it seems to me as if @imick has done a great job creating the Nest Protect integration I’d like. Basically, I’d like to buy 2 Nest Protects and add them to my HA. I’m currently waiting on a sonoff dongle to be delivered as well btw.

What I’m not clear about yet is whether the Nest Protects can now “simply” be added into HA by your integration without needing to go the HomeBridge route or so. Essentially, all I need to be able to do is send notifications to our iPhones when the sensors detect smoke or CO2…

Thanks for the replies already,
Bel*.

If you just need notifications on your phones, what’s wrong with the standard Nest app? HA integration seems unnecessary if you just want notifications on your phones from the Nest Protects.

I’m not sure that will work unless I’d add a Nest Hub, or would it?

Don’t need a Nest Hub at all for the Nest Protect smoke alarms or the Nest Thermostat. You’ll get notifications on your phone through the Nest app no problem. Don’t use the Google Home app, it’s a freaking disaster.

Thanks for the info.

Just wondering. If I’d like to only use Nest Protect through HA, is that possible?

The biggest problem is that the Nest app is doesn’t support emergency notifications. So if you’re in a meeting with your phone on silent your house can burn down without you noticing it.

Hmmm, and that’s xactly what I’d like to prevent, right :slight_smile:

I think I’ll simply try getting them up and running in HA, hoping all the functionalities can be used. I quite like the nightlight function so perhaps I might just install the Nest app on my iPhone after all.

Hmmm, just found an issue here. I’ve installed the Nest Protect integration. So far, so good. When I try to add my google account I need to provide an authentication token. Clicking on authorize your account” returns an error regarding unauthorized Nest access…

I have a fix for this (on Android). Instead of putting your phone on slient… put it in DND (Do Not Disturb). In the notification settings for Nest choose Override Do Not Disturb.

Works like a charm!

The nest protect integration seems not work. I had some smoke and protects went off but not any change in sensors in HA at all…

I’m running iOS :slightly_smiling_face:

You can set the app so it will bypass silent mode etc on iOS.

I’m using the nest app.on ios. Doest see anything to bypass things.

If you know how you’re a winner :grinning: I don’t think it’s possible as they haven’t implemented emergency notifications. (As said previously)

IOS supports exempting apps from DND.

Link

Same functionality as Android, just in a different place…

1 Like

Hi Mick,
Not sure if this got missed as a feature request. Would it possible to expose the HomeAway.AsOccupancySensorAndSwitch / Home Occupied as part of this integration, without having to go full blown homebridge?

I know this integration is intended as specifically for Protect but would be great if possible.