Support for Nest Protect

Yes, however you would need to install it using HACS. HACS can keep track of any updates. Let me know (via GitHub issues) if you face any issues with the current integration.

Hi Mick, i have no HACS installed anymore , last year it suddenly stopped working. i think it is not supported anymore by AH.
But i see it can also be done manually ?

When you install it manually, you cannot update the integration automatically, this will need to be done manually as well. You can subscribe to new releases on GitHub to get notifications.
However these discussions are a bit out of scope for this topic. :wink:

Hi Mick,

Sorry for this. Iā€™ve been looking on so many forums that I stopped scrolling. Already got this one installed 3 seconds ago and having a look at it. Hope to see updates of it very soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Mick! This is super exciting, I was holding out on buying these smoke detectors until it was possible to use with home assistant. I just sent you a friend request on Discord, Iā€™m a python developer and have experience with apiā€™s. I will take a look at your code tomorrow, but send over any resources youā€™ve found and Iā€™ll give it a shot if youā€™re still short on time.

1 Like

I first have to upgrade to google , i did that before what (when nest just changed to google) but it had crashed. ik hope it no no issue anymore to go the google

Works great!

That is fantastic work - hope there is a way to add an option to support the legacy Nest API. My Nest Protects are probably around 5 years old now and still using the legacy Nest API.

It sounds like if the same functionality can exist after porting from Nest to Google, that would work too. Just not sure what to do with my setup in the meantime other than running and older Nest component as a custom component for my (3) Nest Protects.

Technically it would be a possibility, however it wonā€™t be my focus. Eventually I think people should just migrate to the new Google Account login for the legacy Nest API. The current state of ha-nest-protect is not good enough to migrate yet, however in the coming weeks I hope that we can implement the real-time sensor updates.

Great work @imick
Took me 2 min to setup and get working.

Crossing fingers you can get realtime updates working!

Do.you also have thermostat that is still working also?

No, and I am not planning to support this. However, the underlying platform should support this as well probably, thus others could add support if they want.

What am I missing ? Sorry, Iā€™m new so it must be something stupid :roll_eyes:

Please have a look at the HACS documentation; Custom Repositories | HACS. Or install it manually if you cannot succeed.

Like many here, I never migrated my Nest Protect to Google because things were working fine using the Nest API. Google got so much flack when they discussed terminating it, they decided to leave everything alone and Iā€™m not aware of it going away at least in the immediate future.

Once things are working good with your custom component, Iā€™ll move it to the Google side since that seems to be the plan. For now, Iā€™ll just run the old Nest integration as a custom_component so my Nest Protects donā€™t break with the upgrade.

It is a shame there was no replacement before deciding to remove it. At least a clone to a separate component would have been fine for the time being, too.

But It isnā€™t removed yetā€¦ I just announced that itā€™s getting removed and picked a future deadline date. My expectations were that someone would to set up a custom component, within a week or two.

I could clone the code for you, yes that is simple and easy compared to the many other maintenance tasks Iā€™ve done for the component to keep it working, but I donā€™t want to give you the false sense that I can maintain it since I have no accounts usable with this integration.

Is this really a shame? I thought it was fairly reasonable.

1 Like

How did you do it to run the old integration as a custom component?
Here sameā€¦ I stick to the old account to let my Protects and Thermostat working.

If there is a new integration that have the protects working great then I will switchā€¦ because the new integration in HA is already supporting the thermostat.

That would be wonderful if the Nest API / Nest Protects could be separated into a separate component for the time being. At this point in time I doubt there would be any need to update/changes things in it, since eventually it will be moved to Google.

Iā€™m not sure what name makes the most sense to avoid confusion. We have ā€œnestā€ as the main/current component that used to be work both legacy Nest API and Google Nest.

Separating the two would be cleaner/better than just running the older Nest component as a custom setup. That way everyone could run both if necessary - separate.

Much appreciated and hope Iā€™m making sense and the idea can work.

Thanks !

Could you tell me whatā€™s the difference between these two :

@imick - if we reload the integration, would it update the values?
Edit: it does