Support for supervised install on generic Linux host has been removed

I noticed today while checking this page to try and assist another user that the Generic Linux host install option has been removed.

These are the PRs that made the changes, approved by @frenck. Why has this been removed, and is there is a plan for an alternative set of instructions to perform the installation in this way?

Is this simply a temporary removal due to the naming changes?

I have submitted a PR to reinstate these instructions as they are widely used by the community. If there is an alternative being provided, please let me know and I will close the PR.

4 Likes

Donā€™t know why they removed these instructions. Seems HA is going a bad direction :frowning:

6 Likes

Itā€™s weird because this was part of the standard upgrade path for semi experienced newbies to upgrade their hardware/move away from sd cards/just get more muscle

:man_shrugging:

will see where it will take usā€¦i always use supervised installation, not gonna move to hassOS.

3 Likes

:roll_eyes:

This ought to be goodā€¦

Hopefully itā€™s not another ā€œthis is the decision we made and we donā€™t really care what you thinkā€ type things again.

3 Likes

I think youā€™re level of ā€˜bleedin obvious sarcasmā€™ needs to be stepped up a couple of notches.
As otherwise Frank might think ā€œItā€™ll be goodā€ and/or "Weā€™ll do something to stir up the populace and then spend weeks trying to calm it down - Thatā€™s what our People NEED ! ( just like the future of yaml )

:roll_eyes: :poop: :roll_of_toilet_paper:

The only alternative is CORE or Raspberry Pi for everyone !!!
:partying_face: :birthday: :cake: :cupcake: :pie: :honey_pot: :rainbow:

1 Like

https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/commit/0bba55b6e9ece7fd29309590c7d3bf997654f071

On Frenckā€™s website, it says this is how he runs HA ?

How I run Home Assistant

I run Home Assistant, which powers my home, on a custom build computer running Proxmox. In Proxmox, I have created a virtual machine running Linux (Debian Buster) for Home Assistant. Iā€™ve used the Generic Linux Installer for Hass.io to install Home Assistant. Yes, I run the Hass.io Ecosystem.

There are several methods of installing Home Assistant, and really, there is no ā€œbestā€ way. Whatever somebody tells you, it is a personal choice. I love Hass.io as the way of running Home Assistant since it removes a lot of time wasted on system maintenance, allowing me to focus more on what matters: Automating my home.

2 Likes

will se what ā€œmade available differentlyā€ will be.
i used HA because of docker system, the alternative is to use an hypervisor to run hassos and waste resources? i really donā€™t know why of such decisions.

at the end of the day as long as its somewhere it should be ok. You can still use it.
No need to change what your doing, they never supported the installation method anyway

what kind of ā€œsupportā€ are you refering about?
if supervised is removed from website installation method they may break it, one day or another.
And if someone want to use proxmox, esxi or any other hypervysor, fineā€¦but maybe not every systems are made to have an hypervysor consume resources, while having a generic ubuntu OS with docker is much lighter than have an hypervysor + hassos for automations + os for other things.

1 Like

Iā€™m not quite sure what ā€œmade available differentlyā€ will be ?
Who edits/modifies the code (if not an HA dev) to get it in line with current developments ?
Who compiles it ?
Who updates that image on the web site ?
How will we know itā€™s changed (or do we assume a lockstep with HASSOS ? Will that be syncronised ? or will it be 2 weeks later ? or will it be ā€¦ ā€œSometimeā€ Later ???)

Hope they will not break this installation type. This was the only way I managed hass with addons to work on my intel stick, as I canā€™t get it to boot hassos any other wayā€¦
p.s. maybe ā€œmade available differentlyā€ will be https://developers.home-assistant.io/?

Thereā€™s now an official announcement about this on the blog.

I sure nailed that oneā€¦ :wink:

itā€™s getting too easy to see these coming a mile away anymore.

Unfortunately itā€™s become the modus operandi of HA development.

5 Likes

Who edits/modifies the code (if not an HA dev) to get it in line with current developments ?
Who compiles it ?
Who updates that image on the web site ?

It has always been only one person, which is part of the issue.

Another part is user expectation/understanding. The images that are flashed to an SD include a minimal OS and Docker. When something breaks, issues can be tracked down. Everything is a known.

When something breaks on a ā€œsupervisedā€ install there can be a dozen unknown reasons, most of them having to do with user choices or expectations: Watchtower is installed and being used to pull :latest. Portainer or docker commands are being used to start/stop containers instead of allowing the Supervisor container to do its job. Docker itself gets updated by a user, or the wrong version of Docker is installed to begin with. An Ubuntu update changes how networking or dns is handled. Users run the install script but without the correct permissions. Users are shocked when the ā€œreboot hostā€ command actually reboots the whole server and they expect it behave differently than exactly what it was made for. All of this ends up falling on the shoulders of one dev with no one else maintaining it. Meanwhile ā€œhow toā€™sā€ get passed around and Youtube videos are referenced (Iā€™m guilty of such guides myself), making it simple to set up but not as simple to keep running, and OP of these tutorials is rarely the one users go to when there are problems. Instead they clutter the issues page on github.

Thereā€™s been plenty of ā€œstop catering to noobsā€ when it comes to HA changes. Yet these guides pull in just as many if not more confused new users to the discord support channels and the forums. Many barely understand how to describe what they are running. And it isnā€™t even a matter of being a noob or an expert. Where they get confused is in understanding how HA is using docker and the supervisorā€™s role in managing everything. They arenā€™t familiar with how it ran on a SoC and jumped right into running it on the latest greatest Ubuntu which they installed for the first time ever.

This ecosystem was intended for a dedicated machine, but many users think itā€™s only a loose collection of containers which can be easily merged onto an existing platform and it simply is not so.

5 Likes

What else would they expect, if they want to reboot the docker, do that from the host (Iā€™m actually agreeing with you here)

Iā€™m not disagreeing with you here. I spent my life building industrial systems to be as reliable as possible and you donā€™t get that way by adding tinsel, KISS is the adage. Especially with something as important as home automation. For the price of a pi dedicated servers is the best option. NAS server does NAS stuff, LMS server does Music, HA server doesā€¦

I think your post puts things in context, but it doesnā€™t change things for me. A pi 4 wonā€™t boot from ssd, when it does (rpf eft boot sorted) I may go back to hassos, until then ā€¦ But if I move to a NUCā€¦ All bets are off. My problem is that I luuuuve hardware.

:rofl:

Thereā€™s a new command in the most recent version of HA OS I want to try which moves the /data partition to a connected drive. This is something that is highly requested and Iā€™m eager to see how it works.

1 Like