Support for the official Raspberry Pi touch display on Hass.io

Idea was to connect official Raspberry Pi 7" display on Raspberry Pi running Hass.io to display the dashboard or web browser with Hass.io UI. At the end everything could be mounted on the wall like in this example.

If it helpsā€¦ Iā€™m connecting to my HA on a Pi3 with my Dell laptop with a touchscreen via the web interface and all the touchscreen stuff works just fine.

1 Like

it is much easier to have the Raspberry Pi running as a headless server and use a cheap Amazon Fire tablet as the display. All you need to do is use a web browser like Fully Kiosk Browser and point it to the Home Assistant URL.Thats is how I plan to replace my alarm panelā€“with a 7" Amazon Fire tablet.

Youā€™d be better to run hassbian which can install any raspbian package, including a browser.

Iā€™m planing to buy another RPi and use it with touch display like browser, just for accessing Hass.io setup. But your idea is also good solution. How do you plan to mount tablet on wall?

There are many ways.

• proprietary mounts, google them. More likely available for popular brands like iPad, Samsung etc
  • Buy some picture framing and build it yourself.
  • 3D print something.

Making the power supply hidden can be tricky, but is doable. Choose a place on the wall near a plug or light switch and make up a 5v power supply, and use a right angle usb plug to make it more subtle.

There are plenty of idea out there in MakerLand. Get googling.

One more reason to buy 3D printerā€¦
Please post a picture when you mount tablet on wall.

Ha ha I am not there yet. I am not there yet.

If you are mounting the tablet in the same location where an alarm panel used to be, you can use the existing wires to power your tablet with this 12v to 5v USB power converter:

You can also buy a 3D printed Fire tablet frame from the same place. I donā€™t like the idea that the price of the frame is almost the same as the tablet, so I wouldnā€™t buy it. You can try finding a photo frame at a store, but it will probably look tacky.

You could also mount the tablet by attaching a metal piece to the back of the tablet and installing this mount:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HG2LYVI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_12?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A35Z1P14ECP77O

You could charge the tablet using angled USB cables, or find a way to do wireless charging. There are micro-USB to wireless chargers out there. All additional costsā€¦depends on how clean you want the final product to be. I bought some of these components but havenā€™t had the time to install yet.

Has anyone tried the Pi touch display with Lovelace? Does it work with many of the custom cards?

Yes, iā€™m currently testing this setup.
For now itā€™s working OK.

1 Like

Cool, got any custom cards going?

What did you use to mount it?

Iā€™m eyeing this one as Iā€™m too lazy to DIY:

I have this setup as well as an Amazon Fire HD tablet running fully kiosk. So far the amazon tablet has been the most reliable other than not being able to display some custom cards.

I keep having issues with wifi dropping out on the RPi and then it causes it to freeze and i have to do a full restart to get it running again. Not sure why yet, need to do some troubleshooting. Iā€™m just running the RPi as a display using chromium in full screen mode.

1 Like

No custom cards for now, only default ones.

Iā€™m using 3D printed wall mount, Link

Strato solution look very nice but itā€™s too expensive to me.

My first idea was to use old tablet in full kiosk mode, but my solution was easier to mount on wallā€¦

I donā€™t have any issues and all lovelace card are displayed correctly. Better power supply is on the way to solve undervoltage warning on display.

But I have one problem and I donā€™t know how to solve it. I want to wake up display when motion is detected in holway but i canā€™t find any solution.

1 Like

Great to see itā€™s working for you.

There are a couple solutions out there. One of them is to just have the screen time out after a certain time and only be reactivated when it is tapped however i have found that can be a bit fiddly. Rather than registering the touch as a wake up it registers it as a physical touch of the screen so what ever button you have where you tap will get triggered.

There are also a few motion sensors out there that can be connected to the GPIO pins and with a little script will do exactly what youā€™re after but the sensitivity hasnā€™t been the most accurate thing in my experience.

Happy to post some of my findings for you when i get home from work.

1 Like

Please do post anything that can help.

Iā€™m using first solution you described but with screensaver. First tap only wakes display and there is no false triggering during display is off. Tutorial here and my autostart file is below:

@lxpanel --profile LXDE-pi
@pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE-pi
@xscreensaver -no-splash
@xset s 0 0
@xset s noblank
@xset s noexpose
@xset dpms 0 0 60
@point-rpi
@chromium-browser --kiosk https://your_url/lovelace/default_view

I have z-wave motion sensor already installed in hallway and I would like to use him to wake up display when motion is detected. Some solution that would send command to RPi with 7" display and wake screenā€¦

1 Like

set_off: ā€˜ssh -t -i /config/ssh/id_rsa -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no [email protected] /usr/bin/xset -display :0 dpms force offā€™

set_on: ā€˜ssh -t -i /config/ssh/id_rsa -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no [email protected] /usr/bin/xset -display :0 dpms force onā€™
of
ā€˜ssh -t -i /config/ssh/id_rsa -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no [email protected] DISPLAY=:0 /usr/bin/xset dpms force offā€™

Some news about touch screens for home-assistant?
Maybe some other possibilities appeared recently on the market?
Iā€™m looking for size about 9ā€ or somethingā€¦
Must be very flat. If possible with all inputs (power supply, ethernet,ā€¦) from the back.
Not from side.

Raspberry Pi Official Display - 7 Pi 4

Hello . help me figure out - which output is responsible for turning on - turning off the backlight of the screen - I want to automate this from the distance sensor?
i see two options
1- through an entry in the configuration file indicating the distance sensor.
2-find the physical pin on the display control board and apply a signal from the sensor there.
Please advise the best. who did how show. Thank you.