Support for Z-Wave Sirens/Chimes

There are a number of Z-Wave sirens on the market including from Dome, Go-Control, Everspring and Aeotec. All allow turning on/off a loud siren over Z-Wave and some also allow triggering various chimes or uploaded audio files. As far as I can tell there is no support in HA for a device of this type at all - it would be a great addition to help complete the security system picture. I ordered a Dome Z-Wave Siren and am willing to help test.

Have you tried to pair it yet?

I donā€™t have it yetā€¦ will post back when it arrives.

Detailed docs are here. OpenZWave didnā€™t have it in the library so I manually updated XML files, the siren was recognized by OZW. The config parameters all work. I created a pull request on OZW for the XML files. The siren shows as a switch in HA, so the main siren is usable, but the chime feature is really not available.

I suppose I could change several config parameters each time I want to have it chime; through config it can trigger the ā€˜secondary notificationā€™ when the binary switch is flipped. Then I can also set which sound it makes through config parameters. Then Iā€™d need to flip the switch on and off, then change the config back so the siren will sound when the security system is tripped. Iā€™m not going to try that though, because Iā€™m confident it will take way too long to sound the chime after, say, a door opens.

The secondary chime is normally triggered through the Z-Wave Indicator command class. OZW knows about this command class but I donā€™t think HA does anything with it. As I understand it, Indicator is a one-time message - i.e., send the message, the chime goes off a number of times set through config parameters on the device, there is no need to send another message to turn it off.

So I suppose the siren works fine as a binary switch, though itā€™s not the best conceptual fit, but there is a possible totally new feature here to support Indicator command class devices.

2 Likes

@netopiax - Sorry to bring back an old thread. Did you ever have luck using the chimes with the Dome Siren?

Glad to see the thread revivedā€¦ My Dome Siren is siren only, no chimes. I havenā€™t tried writing a script that will set the config parameters and then turn the switch on/off to trigger the chime, because Iā€™m confident that even if it works, its response will be too slow to be useful. My opinion: there needs to be a new feature in HA to support the notification class of Z-Wave devices on the notify HA platform.

I like that feature request! Lets make a new one so others can vote on it since we are able to add sirens to our system.

OK, Iā€™ll do it. It is actually the Z-Wave ā€œIndicatorā€ class that needs support.

3 Likes

Any update on this? I really want a siren/chime device I can integrate into my network.

The proper feature request is here - no movement from developers. Iā€™d invest time but this is probably beyond my skill set, at least without a lot of fumbling around first.

I could be interested in taking a look if/when I get this device. Have no idea what Iā€™m doing but it could be an interesting learning experience :slight_smile:

Looking to do the same thing. I have a Dome Siren attached to my setup; if anyone can give me some direction on coding the commands I can work on this.

I did some initial work and found that OZW has the indicator class already we just need to bring this into HA.

Iā€™m a bit new to this so please be gentle. :wink:

2 Likes

I also see the indicator class stuffs in my xml. Someone else was trying to say that the device needs to be added to OZW but Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s the case.

I messaged Dome inquiring about them adding the device to the OZW database a few days back and am still awaiting a response.

The Dome Siren device is in OZW already - I know because I added it myself :slight_smile:
Based on the discussion on this post I created a new feature request quite some time ago, that has more votes than this one, that is specifically about the Indicator class being added to HA. Again, I donā€™t think any OZW changes need to be made to do this.

2 Likes

Ahhh, good to know. I wasnā€™t sure if it was in OZW as it didnā€™t populate everything(new to Z-wave.) Does the OZW database automagically get merged into HASS?

I commented on the other post already.

Yes, HA picks up updates to the OZW project including the device database on a somewhat regular basis. It may not always have the very latest, but the Dome Siren is coming through as expected.

Good deal. So itā€™s just the indicator support part of it/python that needs work then. Thanks again!

Bumpā€¦ Any progress on this? I was looking at the Dome or other sirens as well to add to my Home Assistant or if anyone has suggestions. I like the idea of chimes too.

Please vote on the feature request here. The latest info is that Open Z-Wave doesnā€™t yet support the Indicator class and until that happens thereā€™s nothing Home Assistant devs can do.

This indicator class?