Support for Z-Wave Sirens/Chimes

@netopiax - Sorry to bring back an old thread. Did you ever have luck using the chimes with the Dome Siren?

Glad to see the thread revived… My Dome Siren is siren only, no chimes. I haven’t tried writing a script that will set the config parameters and then turn the switch on/off to trigger the chime, because I’m confident that even if it works, its response will be too slow to be useful. My opinion: there needs to be a new feature in HA to support the notification class of Z-Wave devices on the notify HA platform.

I like that feature request! Lets make a new one so others can vote on it since we are able to add sirens to our system.

OK, I’ll do it. It is actually the Z-Wave “Indicator” class that needs support.

3 Likes

Any update on this? I really want a siren/chime device I can integrate into my network.

The proper feature request is here - no movement from developers. I’d invest time but this is probably beyond my skill set, at least without a lot of fumbling around first.

I could be interested in taking a look if/when I get this device. Have no idea what I’m doing but it could be an interesting learning experience :slight_smile:

Looking to do the same thing. I have a Dome Siren attached to my setup; if anyone can give me some direction on coding the commands I can work on this.

I did some initial work and found that OZW has the indicator class already we just need to bring this into HA.

I’m a bit new to this so please be gentle. :wink:

2 Likes

I also see the indicator class stuffs in my xml. Someone else was trying to say that the device needs to be added to OZW but I’m not sure that’s the case.

I messaged Dome inquiring about them adding the device to the OZW database a few days back and am still awaiting a response.

The Dome Siren device is in OZW already - I know because I added it myself :slight_smile:
Based on the discussion on this post I created a new feature request quite some time ago, that has more votes than this one, that is specifically about the Indicator class being added to HA. Again, I don’t think any OZW changes need to be made to do this.

2 Likes

Ahhh, good to know. I wasn’t sure if it was in OZW as it didn’t populate everything(new to Z-wave.) Does the OZW database automagically get merged into HASS?

I commented on the other post already.

Yes, HA picks up updates to the OZW project including the device database on a somewhat regular basis. It may not always have the very latest, but the Dome Siren is coming through as expected.

Good deal. So it’s just the indicator support part of it/python that needs work then. Thanks again!

Bump… Any progress on this? I was looking at the Dome or other sirens as well to add to my Home Assistant or if anyone has suggestions. I like the idea of chimes too.

Please vote on the feature request here. The latest info is that Open Z-Wave doesn’t yet support the Indicator class and until that happens there’s nothing Home Assistant devs can do.

This indicator class?

Oh, it’s referring to the python wrapper not supporting the indicator, no the openzwave library itself.

Yes, sorry, I should have been more specific. pyozw does not currently support sending the commands related to the Indicator class. The C libraries do correctly recognize support for the class and, as we can see from the header, have the methods we need for set/get.

This (z-wave indicator class) is implemented in 0.80
Check out this post I made to a similar thread & the one I linked to there:

1 Like

Is it possible to adapt this somehow to use Fibaro Siren’s chime?