Support Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W

What image did you download ?

Nice! HA 7.0 rpi3-64 works for me

@Don_Dir Unfortunately installing add-ons neither works on 7.0 nor 6.6 for me…

I tried installing via UI and via CLI, but neither works. Both only try for very very long and in the process somehow disconnect the PI from the wifi network or hang it completely.

I once managed to install an add-on, because I did it while the system was still updating / performing setup. Maybe some update between 6.6 and the current version broke something on the Zero 2?

If installation fails and I restart the PI to reconnect it to the network the add-on seems to be installed, but can’t be started since the Container is not present.

@agners Will we be seeing an “officially” supported version soon?

Unfortunately installing add-ons neither works on 7.0 nor 6.6 for me…

Most likely your RPi Zero 2 W just runs out of resources. If you want to use Add-ons, I recommend a more capable hardware.

1 Like

I actually opted for an installation with Raspbian and a docker instance of homassistant + some background stuff on the same pi and it runs perfectly. Then maybe the complete image is not quite as performant as a normal Raspberry Pi OS install.

The latest development builds (Index of /8.0.dev20211228) come with the newer kernel which comes with the new device trees for Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W. The device tree is present in the rpi3 (32-bit) and rpi3-64 (64-bit) images (haos_rpi3-8.0.dev20211228.img.xz / haos_rpi3-64-8.0.dev20211228.img.xz).

Since 64-bit requires 8 bytes for pointer, its natural that a 64-bit installation requires more RAM for the same task. It seems that this makes quite a substantial difference on Raspberry Pi.

This is memory usage after boot up and waiting for a while (to make sure the system finished booting completely).

32-bit image

# free -m
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            425         142          49           0         233         230
Swap:           106           0         105

64-bit image:

# free -m
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            411         198          46           0         167         160
Swap:           102          26          76

As can be seen, the 64-bit image requires 50MB more memory by default, and even has more memory available (probably because the 32-bit Linux kernel is smaller).

I actually opted for an installation with Raspbian and a docker instance of homassistant + some background stuff on the same pi and it runs perfectly.

Do you mean Home Assistant Core container installation? That pretty sure requires less resources as there are is no Supervisor and plug-ins (Audio etc.) running.

Then Raspbian is 32-bit as well, which probably makes a difference, see my other comment.

haos 8.0 dev (32-bit)
just…no supervisor item on the left

That is a feature of the latest Home Assistant Core release: Supervisor moved into settings menu (see 2021.12: New configuration menu, the button entity, and gorgeous area cards! - Home Assistant).

1 Like

Hello, I confirm the latest release haos_rpi3-8.0.dev20211228.img.xz works well on my zerow2 and decently fast. The only problem is actually samba that shows a fault and does not accept connections, is it a well known issue?
the log is giving only:

22-01-03 18:49:48 WARNING (SyncWorker_2) [supervisor.docker.interface] Can’t grep logs from homeassistant/armv7-addon-samba: 409 Client Error for http+docker://localhost/v1.41/containers/37126175f467771208b917c80c5370e210e5af37efb092aea159680b3c07aace/logs?stderr=1&stdout=1&timestamps=0&follow=0&tail=100: Conflict (“can not get logs from container which is dead or marked for removal”)

while the sambe register:

*check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [User] -> [User] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER, authoritative=1*
*===============================================================*
*INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11: Segmentation fault in pid 292 (4.13.8)*
*If you are running a recent Samba version, and if you think this problem is not yet fixed in the latest versions, please consider reporting this bug, see https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Bug_Reporting*
*===============================================================*
*PANIC (pid 292): Signal 11: Segmentation fault in 4.13.8*
*unable to produce a stack trace on this platform*
*coredump is handled by helper binary specified at /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern*
*Registered MSG_REQ_POOL_USAGE*
*check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [User] -> [User] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER, authoritative=1*

Hi,
I’ve got a Pi Z2 run haOS 8.0.dev and mostly everything is working well with a couple of add-ons, HACS, Zigbee dongle and a bunch of sensors. However I’m trying to use BLE passive monitor but it doesn’t appear that bluetooth is working correctly. Whilst I get log messages that HCI was successful on startup and I get a mac address with hciconfig -a, it’s showing the interface as “down”. Issuing hciconfig hci0 up results in an error “File ‘dut_mode’ in directory ‘hci0’ already present! Can’t init device hci0: Invalid request code (56)”

I’m way over my head. Does any of this make sense to any of you? Or is the ZP2 code not just all there yet?

Cheers

Not sure if this is the right place to add feature request.
the dev version is kind of working and that’s great. Really want to use the Pi Zero 2 for small setup. But currently I am using a USB ethernet adapter to connect since I don’t like the USB Config setup and I think it’s hard to use. Wondering if there’s a way to implement something like the ESPHome method where when it boots and can’t find a SSID on it’s record, it turns into a WiFi AP mode and I can use smart phone to connect to it and guide it to the WiFi at my home.

1 Like

I confirm you that also in my Z2W BLE is not working with same issue on hci0.

1 Like

This is helpful but I have a problem where, after writing the HA OS to the SD card, I can’t then navigate to the folders. Windows File Explorer says I need to format the drive!
I have put the card into a Pi Zero and it boots successfully into HA. Unfortunately, I can’t find anything in the commands there to tell it my wifi credentials nor can I browse the file system to insert a config file so I’m a bit stymied!
Is there any way I can boot up my regular Pi OS then read the HA card file structure and insert the wifi config file that way?
Any help gratefully received.

Same for me with MacOS. I had to boot the Pi Zero with a monitor and keyboard, then use the command line HA commands to configure WiFI.

Got an 404 if I use this link. Is it just the normal Image for Raspberry Pi 3 64 bit from here? Raspberry Pi - Home Assistant

Yes it is the regular RPi 3 64-bit image. I fixed the link, thanks for mentioning.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick fix!

Is it okay to use 64bit? Or should I better go with 32bit?

In the following article, a person is testing 64bit. And there might be a problem as the RAM is very limited.

One more question: Better use the " Raspberry Pi OS with desktop" or the " Raspberry Pi OS Lite"?

Now I tried to install it, with the method of @agners above. And it works pretty good. Even the headless wifi was sufficient. I was using the following image: haos_rpi3-64-9.0.rc2.img.xz
Now I want to install “Terminal & SSH” on HomeAssistant. But it is not working at all :frowning:
The error that is dropped is the following:

'AddonManager.install‘ blocked from execution, no host internet connection

I find that very strange, as the RaspberryPi has Internet. So maybe something with the rights or so. :woozy_face:

Update:
For some reason it was possible now to install. But by starting it, the following error appears:

Image homeassistant/aarch64-addon-ssh:9.6.1 does not exist for addon_core_ssh

What was the way you used to Install HACS? For me it is not possible. I wanted to use this manual, but can’t manage to install “Terminal & SSH”, with that I would install HACS:

Maybe the HA 9.0 is not supported and is the problem (was using haos_rpi3-64-9.0.rc2.img.xz).

When I have boot the Rasperry Pi the first time, it found the “Xiaomi BLE” sensors in my room automatically. They are flashed Mijia 2. But only Voltage and Battery entity where there. No Temperature nor Humidity was visible.
So yes, my final goal is also to get BLE running :wink:
Worst case using an esp32 with esphome as a bridge…

Update:
By using https://bthome.io for the Xiaomi Mijia 2 ATC-Sensors (so flashing it with this protocol) they work pretty well on HA 9.0 without any issues so far on my Pi Zero 2 W. BT home is an new Standard for bluetooth that is supported since HA 9.0. Pretty nice job, I love it!