Sureflap Connect - Pet Door

Yes, mixing the two wrecked the entire thing. It’s really hard to know who is talking about what.

I have a Dual Scan Sure door, no hub, is there anyway to get it working or do I definitely need to buy the hub? Just seems so dumb I’d have to buy that since I have HA running pretty well on dedicated hardware.

This is awesome!

Yep. You’re gonna need a hub.

I did start building a complete Hub replacement using an ESP32 and Zigbee MRF24j Zigbee radio and had a shield fabricated for it. Which I semi got working but the code was never completed:

Mike also created a version on a Pi using a BeeClick
https://github.com/mretallack/catfeeder

1 Like

Is anyone else’s door showing as “unavailable” on and off in the last 24hours? Every few minutes it’s alternating between unlocked & unavailable.
Battery level is fine (have changed batteries to ensure this), but nothing else is changing.

Rest of HA is rock solid, net is solid, and when using the app, when it’s in the periods of “unavailable”, the Surepet app displays normally with lock status being shown and no errors. (ears on the hub haven’t been flashing or anything)

Not sure if it’s a SP server issue, or something else?

Attached screenshot, you can see it was solid up until last night, then became flakey regardless of the lock status (curfew in this case). - grey is unavailable times.
Screenshot_20221025-095044_Home Assistant|264x500

But why would you even need to build that? Seems like you should be able to do everything on the HA machine. I will try to look at your code when I have some time and see if it would be feasible. The HA instance should be the hub, like it is for everything else.

They’re sold out everywhere. I don’t see why I should need it though anyway. Going to look more into it, thanks.

That’s not really how things work. There’s no way for HA to communicate directly with the door. They don’t speak the same languages.

Anyone’s hub offline for last few days?

Mine has been fine.

Mines been offline for 4 days tried doing firmware update tried reseting tried everything flashing green alternating then flashed red alternating meaning it can’t reach sure petcare servers

I’m looking into getting the Sureflap so of course my first thought was “is there HA intergration”. Now I see there is, so next question is “do I need the hub” or can I do it all through HA. The ratings on the app are crap. Lastly of course in general I’m curious how people like the product. Seems like reviews are all over the place. Thanks!

Yes, you do need the hub. The hub bridges between the flaps and feeders and the SurePetcare servers.

The integration then talks to those servers.

As far as the products go, I have three flaps and, two feeders, and, due to distance, I use two hubs.

I’m probably more than 5 years in and have no issues.

1 Like

I own a hub and a flap, no problems to report. Haven’t used the app much, tbh, I bought them so I could track if our cat is outside or inside in HA.

I just bought 2 of the “pet door connect” doors and the hub. Set this all up easily in 5 minutes tops. Thanks to @benleb for your hard work here. The only item that doesnt work for me out the box is the battery value - it shows unknown state - I can see the attribute battery_level has a correct value there though - so I just set up an entity card for the 3 items i wanted to track for the battery separately using those state attributes and job done!

Hi all, I have the dual scan pet flap, has anyone figured a way to pull through being able to toggle your pet as an indoor / outdoor.

i think it would finish off my cats minimalist page off perfectly

I’m using the Sure Petcare integration here which includes the service to set pet location.

I created a script that calls this service and sets the location depending on what the current location is.
e.g

alias: Toggle Cat Location
sequence:
  - choose:
      - conditions:
          - condition: state
            entity_id: binary_sensor.cat
            state: "on"
        sequence:
          - service: surepetcare.set_pet_location
            data:
              pet_name: Cat
      - conditions:
          - condition: state
            entity_id: binary_sensor.cat
            state: "off"
        sequence:
          - service: surepetcare.set_pet_location
            data:
              pet_name: Cat
mode: single
icon: mdi:swap-horizontal

I then have a Mushroom entity card, with the script as the chosen entity and ‘Toggle’ as the tap action.
I also set secondary information to ‘None’.

e.g.

Thanks Phoxic, ive got the toggle for the location on the person card for each card as below, my explanation was a bit naff sorry. within the sure app you can toggle if there an indoor cat with no access to outside as per the screenshot below, just wondering if anyone has found a way for this?

- view_layout:
      grid-area: "kiki"
    type: "custom:button-card"
    template: card_person
    entity: person.kiki
    variables:
      ulm_card_person_entity: person.kiki
      ulm_card_person_use_entity_picture: true
      ulm_card_person_icon: mdi:cat
    tap_action:
      action: call-service
      service: script.kiki_in
    double_tap_action:
      action: call-service
      service: script.kiki_out

I’m really happy with my SureFlap and the HA integration.
I recently bought a SureFeed as well. I can see in in the integration but it provides ‘only’ the connectivity and the battery status. As this is useful already, it would be awesome if it could gather statistics on the feed patterns of my cats myself in HA.
Would it be possible and are there any plans to add this to the integration?

1 Like

That looks awesome @Tinker_1990 ! How did you create those graphs / statistics for eg trips today/yesterday and time outside? I’d guess some history_stats sensors?
What cards do you use?

Thanks heaps :slight_smile: