Swamp Cooler Wiring & Components?

I’m curious if anyone has successfully wired up a either zwave or zigbee devices to their swamp cooler. I found this article on SmartThings Community but it is quite old and I was wondering if there are any new devices that could make this easier.

From the picture it looks like you have to wire in two relays and have three wall switches. I like the wall switch part but the relays seem excessive/more involved than I would like to do for this project. Is there not a zwave 3 position switch? The position would be great since it would have high/low/off positions to run the fan. Then a simple other zwave switch could run the pump.

The issue you could run into without using the relays (commonly called contactors in larger power circuits) is the load capacity of the switches supply power directly to the pump and fan.

If the switch is rated for the max load of the fan & pump then it shouldn’t be an issue.

I’m in the same situation you are. I found this : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0846DZJD8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 20A relay will be enough for the 1 HP motor, as well as the lower amperage relays for for the pump and low speed.

Question is, doesn’t fit into any templates, so how should it be controlled?

1 Like

Oh! It looks like you’re on to something here with this multi relay. My only concern is how to make the switch for high/low to only have one relay (R3- high or R2 low) on at the same time. Looks like you can set R1 and R2 to have only one on at the same time but those relays are only 15 Amps. I would like to have R3 (20 AMP relay) for the high motor speed.