Switch from raspberry pi 3 to 3 b+

Hello all,

I´ve just purchased a new Raspberry pi 3b+ and i was planing to upgrade my hassio instalation. Is it possible to just switch the sd card and start hassio on the new raspberry or i need to take a snapshot of the build, clean install and restore?

What do you think it would be better?

Kind regards

Not if you’re using the Hassio ResinOS image. You will have to build a new card from the HassOS image for the 3b+ and restore a snapshot.

But acording to this image
The version for model 3b and 3b+ are the same. I guess i will test later, i have snapshots of the builds so if it gets wrong i can easily go back

That’s the HassOS image. I don’t think the ResinOS image was ever built for the 3b+. Have a read of the blog.

Sorry i didn´t know there was a diference, i´m using HassOS image. So i´m going to try just switching and comment here with the results

what is the worst thing can happen?

As you are using the HassOS image you should find it boots.

I can confirm that the first boot took a little longer but it works flawlessly, also webpage works much more better in raspberry pi 3b +

Currently running HA on rasp model 3 b and looking to switch to 3b+. Hassio / HassOS. Just to confirm, you just took the configured sd card from 3b and put into 3b+ and it worked fine?

Yes, first boot took a little extra and the page was trying to reload with an error but after 10 minutes i was able to log in and all was working

1 Like