Switch integration turn_on turn_off feedback handling

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask these questions, or that the third party integration category is. Maybe someone can help me answer some general questions that I could not find an answer for in the documentation. (If it is there, please point me to it.)

I have made a switch-integration for a board named ‘Ethrly02’. When I press the switch in Lovelace, function async_turn_on is called, and I ask my EthRly02 lib to switch on the corresponding relay. If this fails (for whatever reason), the switch remains on in Lovelace, not representing the actual state. The pollrate is about 30 seconds, I have noticed(default), and if ‘async_update’ and HA requests the updated state using ‘is_on’ and finds the relay is not on, the switch turns off again, as expected.

Q1. I would like to know if there is a standard way of processing feedback, like having the switch in Lovelace switch back to off if the integration fails to turn on the physical switch. Maybe it’s a return value that I can set, or maybe I have to fire a ‘turn off’ event in the ‘turn_on’ function? I prefer not to increase the pollrate as a solution.

Q2. Am I allowed to do some blocking IO or async sleep if the ‘turn_on’/‘turn_off’ functions are prefixed with ‘async_’, like when I need to attempt a reconnect with some timeout?

Thanks!

The way e.g. the ecobee integration handles this for some calls is to send a command (using an API call), then immediately poll the API for the current status. So if the first call fails, then the status update catches that and the state is corrected.

Other ways to handle it may not be accurate or could produce undesired effects. For example your idea to call async turn off is going to cause the API call to turn off to be performed, which is probably not what you want.