Switchbot Tilt randomly closes whatever direction it wants (up close vs. down close)-- anyway to fix?

Hello all,

Can someone give me a bit of a hand on figuring out the subject. Essentially, the few sets of switchbot blinds I have. I have setup in automations for closing.

When they close, they seem they pretty much randomly close in whatever direction they would like.

Thank you all for any suggestions/ thoughts.

Are they connected over Bluetooth or with a Switchbot Hub over Matter?

The integration says SwitchBot Bluetooth. But I do use the hub mini to connect when outside of the house I believe. Little confused on this also honestly. When I added a Bluetooth proxy they started responding faster so I assume everything is working over Bluetooth.

Rather than commanding them closed, command them to a tilt position (100% or 0%, depending on your preference).

I’ve found with mine that while I command them to a specific position to open, after a while the device updates it’s position to a slightly different value. I’m guessing your commanding them to 50%, but after a while they change to something slightly different and the close command just picks the shortest direction.

@brooksben11

I may have figured this out partially. The docs let you specify closed up or closed down when using an automation by using tilt position parameter rather than using up or down. So 0 is closed down, 100 is closed up.

So this gets the majority of my issue straight. However, this doesn’t fix when you actually directly interact with the up/ down button of the entity, it still goes whichever direction it wants in that instance which I think is related to this in the docs:

The close button will close the blinds to the closest closed position (either 0% or 100%), and defaults to closing down if the blinds are fully open.

Best I can come up with is to use maybe 45% as “open” and then it will force it down when hitting close on the dashboard.

I think the blinds are teetering between being nearly closer to “up closed”, rather than “down closed” and its causing this strange behavior.

Yeah, I literally never directly interact with mine (it’s all automated). But I think I remember a similar experience when I first set them up.

I got you. Thank you all again!!