Switches that control Smart Bulbs only

I have a few three way switches in my home, and the fixtures are outfitted with smart bulbs.

I want to dummy proof my home and enable the switches to work as normal dumb switches, but keep the power on so the automation works as well.

I can’t figure out how to search this hardware or if there is even something like this.

I just want to replace a switch, have it linked to my hub, and every time it is switched, it turns on and off the attached lights via software. I don’t want something battery operated, I want to replace the actual switch on the wall, or use an additional module or piece of hardware to accomplish this with the existing switch.

Does anything like this exist?

I’m using a Shelly with ESPHome for this.

Use something like this in ESPHome:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: gpio
    pin:
      number: GPIO5
    name: "$upper_devicename Button"
    on_press:
          - homeassistant.service:
              service: light.toggle
              data:
                entity_id: light.plafond_lamp
    on_release:
          - homeassistant.service:
              service: light.toggle
              data:
                entity_id: light.plafond_lamp
2 Likes

I was trying to work out why you only wanted the light on (or off) while holding the button. But you’re using a toggle switch. Clever!

ESPHome would be my recommendation as well. I’m about to try this using a Tuya-converted smart switch this week.

However, if you’re not comfortable with the more DIY approach, I believe the Inovelli Z-Wave switches offer this functionality as well, to leave the relay on and just send a command to the hub when the switch is engaged instead.

The only thing that could be tricky is the fact that you mentioned this is a three-way circuit. Are you planning to replace both switches? You’ll want to check your wiring as you do it to make sure there’s no scenario in which the power would be interrupted on the circuit.

Here’s a good link with some more resources as well: https://thesmartcave.com/smart-switch-with-smart-bulb/