Switching from Proxmox VM to HA Blue

Today I ordered a Home Assistant Blue from AmeriDroid and ,hopefully, I was in time to get mine in their expected mid-May delivery. I currently run HassOS in a Proxmox VM and I am wondering how folks have gone about moving over to the Blue. Have y’all mostly started over from scratch? Anyone able to just install a backup from old device to new device? I think I am fortunate in that I am going from HassOS to HassOS, but is that true?

Just create a full snapshot and then restore from that when setting up the new instance

Well, that’s boringly simple. I have a full month or more before the damn thing arrives, so I was hoping for a thread to keep me motivated during that month. And that’s all there is to it? Thank you SparkyDave!

in all seriousness, thank you SparyDave. :slight_smile:

No worries.

I’ve migrated from a RPi running the old HassIO, to a NUC running HassIO, to a better NUC running Ubuntu/HassOS, then re-did that same NUC with straight HassOS (because I literally never used the underlying Ubuntu for anything). Each time I simply restored from a snapshot and never had any issues. When switching from the RPi to the NUC originally I think there were a couple of Add-ons that didn’t come across because I needed to download the x64 version rather than ARM (or whatever) but that was it. Still super simple

I am in the process of downsizing 2 old desktops in medium tower cases to smaller form factors. I have an i3 running ProxMox that has HassOS as it’s only active VM, so I figured I could easily go lighter on that. Then I have an old Dell with an i7-3770k that runs about 30 docker containers and I am moving that to a Hades Canyon NUC. Only container doing any heavy lifting on it is Plex. The rest is support stuff for Plex, my MQTT server (which I MAY move to the Blue), Mealie and a couple of other random things. All the storage for Plex is on a 5 bay Synology so I should now be able to house everything in a much smaller area, once the Blue arrives. Which ultimately will make the wife happy as she will get back a corner of our dining room I had taken over :smiley:

Haha. I confiscated a quarter of the laundry cupboard for my alarm, networking and HA stuff… she calls it the ‘snake pit’

hehe I still have to decide on a final a home for the servers, all the network gear (UDM, modem, HDHomerun, couple of switches, etc) and a Laser printer. Looks like my desk cubby is about to get a lot more crowded unless something else presents itself. (Considering taking over the cabinets in our new entertainment center for everything but the printer if I can get it all in and still have room for an Xbox and PS4)