Switching from Zwave 1.4 (Deprecated) to ZWave JS UI (formerly ZwaveJS2MQTT)

Supervisor tab on the main HA web UI and under Configuration > Info middle column is:

# Supervisor

Version

supervisor-2021.10.0

Newest Version

supervisor-2021.10.0

ok, then you just need the addon for step 5

Cool, thanks. So I backed up my system, walked thru the process successfully, then backed out for now as don’t want to reconfigure my notes yet. That said, remember there is now an automatic way to reconfigure the node names and stuff. Where is that or does that show up somewhere if you just use Z-Wave JS by itself?

if you’re talking about the migrate wizard, it only appears in the old zwave integration.

Have to check it out since i have a virtual and reverted back to pre upgrade. If this is an option when using ZwaveJS2MQTT.

I suggest you look at the overview wiki page I created for zwave so you can learn the differences between each option

OK so when I’ve switched over i go back to apply the original entity names. So for my dimmer switch I had two entries.

light.family_room_light_switch_dimmer
zwave.family_room_light_switch_dimmer

So in the highlighted below is the zwave… one

When I upgrade as guess I’ll call it, the light entity is there when you click on the device, but I can’t find where the zwave… value is set. Not sure I need to but was trying to find it.

There are no zwave entities for zwave_js. Everything has been broken out into services or separate entities.

I had a similar issue with my power boards.
Check the hidden entities for a disable element named …node status and enable that. See the post from @firstof9 above for more details.

I have a flood sensor that had a lot of entities. See below:

When I updated (see below) even with the three at the bottom that were/are hidden, it still doesn’t sync up with what I had before

You’ll have completely different entities. I don’t know how else to tell you. There will not be a 1 to 1 scenario.

Stand back for a second. Are you actually missing things you need? Chances are, no. You most likely can get all your information from the 3 items that are not hidden.

So if you click on the sensor.flood_sensor_node_status line is the entity disabled and can you slide it to enabled and press update. A messaging saying the entity will update in 30 seconds should appear. Then you can see the sensor.flood_sensor_node_status. which will be the replacement for your zwave.flood_sensor from zwave 1.4

Sorry I may be misunderstanding what you’re after. I took it you were looking to see if the flood sensor was ready/alive on your mesh network

he’s questioning why he’s not getting the same number of entities that he had in zwave 1.4 vrs zwave js.

Switched over and everything is working well. Did have less entities and different entities but all good now. Some of my sensors were changed to multiple binary_sensors which effected my automations and had to redo those but up and kickin. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

By the way, everything is working but recently noticed Add-Ons that the Z-Wave JS one is stopped. So

Never saw this screen during the setup:

So here shows the Z-Wavs JS Integration piece running with Z-Wave JS to MQTT. That basically normal?

Many thanks for great guide, as such it is simple to follow. I have finally made a switch from OZW integration but unfortunately it is not as smooth as I would expect. The Zwave2Mqtt was not able to interview all my devices, I needed to bring them close to the Aeotec stick, still have 2 qubino 2 channel switch modules which are installed in switch boxes outdoors and they are not able to get interviewed. Is bringing them home the only way to interview them? Additionally I have a radiator thermostat which looks good in Zwave2mqtt but no entities are visible in HA:

I don’t have a radiator close to the server/stick so how can I force the interview/update?

I switched over as well, doing the migration by hand as described above. Everything worked exactly as planned.

As I never had sensible entity names I kept the changed ones / tweaked them. I then opened all my YAML files in Notepad++ and did a „Replace in all open files“ of old entity to new entity. Worked great.

For ~60 nodes (almost all mains powered) it took 3-4 hours. All stable since.

Short update: The last two modules were qubino flush 2 relays but they required factory reset and inclusion from scratch. Now the network seems to work. A bit strange is that all devices, except one, are connect to the coordinator directly - so I don’t understand why most of them were not getting re-interviewed until I have brought them close to the coordinator. Hope this was the last problem with my zwave network :slight_smile:

Hi
I am trying updating from Zwave 1.4 (Deprecated) to ZwaveJS2MQTT as updating just to ZwaveJS gets me in trouble. I am loosing all names but this is not the issue i have only around 7 5modes so I can rename them but than in automations it does not show actions to choose.
I uninstalled all Zwave integrations and addons restarted the VM and also the pc it is on.
Installed ZwaveJS2MQTT added port and keys but have an issue as it still can not connect to port?
What shall i put there in port
/dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00
or
ttyACM0
the error is

Driver: Failed to initialize the driver: ZWaveError: Timeout while waiting for an ACK from the controller (ZW0200) at Driver.sendMessage (/opt/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:3274:23) at ZWaveController.identify (/opt/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/controller/Controller.ts:668:33) at Driver.initializeControllerAndNodes (/opt/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:947:26) at Immediate.<anonymous> (/opt/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:817:16) (ZW0100)

Not sure if it’s exactly the same error but I had a similar issues last week and found a post on GitHub to disable soft reset in the setting menu of the zwave js to Mqtt page. Once disabled you need to check if the zwave stick/hub is still mounted to the vm and restart zwave js to Mqtt.

Again not sure it’s 100% the same but it helped fox a similar issue.

1 Like