Switching from Zwave 1.4 (Deprecated) to Zwave JS

I have this same issue. Went through the migration wizard today after waiting months thinking everything would be stable and easy by now. But mine is also saying that none of the devices could be migrated and I’m now left with 60+ nodes that have to be renamed along with their entities. Not a great user experience and very frustrating considering the first post with the guide was over a year ago. I would have expected an automatic migration method by now.

Hi!

I was not able to migrate Zwave on my HASS.IO during many months. Now I have the time.
I have 35 devices and 235 entities. The ZWave dongle is an Aeotec ZW090 Z-Stick GEN5.

I started to use the migration wizard, but I block on this. I woke up some device but the list remain like that, no any line disappear. (For the best result, wake the device up if it is battery powered and wait for this device to become ready.)

Do you know how to update the list? (I refreshed the page but it still like that).

@seandavidson I also do not have a network key. When you left it blank, did you stumble on any issues while migrating? I’m dragging my feet with 79 zwave devices and 419 entities and this already seems the first hurdle.

@Tyfoon I did not have the network key and did not have issues. I did have to redo 1 that did not pick up but I followed the migration path and went very smooth.

1 Like

You should only need a network key if you had devices that were securely included (ie s0 or s2 security).

If you had secure devices and didn’t have the key to copy over they couldn’t be controlled without excluding them and reincluding with a new key. The other non secure devices should still work though.

I think I never included anything secure, always had some issues with that.

Hi,

May I check how do I proceed from here as I try to restart the hose but unable to due to the invalid configuration check? I have already added the Z-Wave JS add-on. Thanks

Should I disable or delete?

You’re skipping step 3. It must be deleted from the ui or configuration.yaml

Hi, so I just delete and restart? Thanks

Yes and remove it from configuration.yaml

There’s also a official migration method that is different than this guide. This guide is old and things may be easier using the other method.

Thanks for the response. Let me delete and reboot and hope all the devices are detected.

I’m using this at the moment
Z-Wave - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)

It is already deleted but it still bugs with the with the configuration file. Error logs

[1748222712] The system cannot restart because the configuration is not valid: Integration error: zwave - Integration ‘zwave’ not found.

7:00:54 PM – (ERROR) Home Assistant WebSocket API - message first occurred at November 11, 2022 at 9:46:19 AM and shows up 3 times

The system cannot restart because the configuration is not valid: Integration error: zwave - Integration ‘zwave’ not found.

7:00:54 PM – (ERROR) Home Assistant Supervisor - message first occurred at November 11, 2022 at 9:44:48 AM and shows up 4 times

My man, you have to delete it from configuration.yaml.

I commented the zwave portion at the config file.

Restarting now. Cross my fingers.

Managed to re-start, managed to update to latest home asst.

I still have this error.

Should this be ttyAMA0 or? I remember I set it at tty. Thanks

I tried to Add Integration… image
and then image

You won’t have any more zwave entities. This is completely different now. Also, I urge to to fully read this guide. You’ve asked repeated questions that are covered in the guide

Or, follow the official migration guide which handles most of this for you.

1 Like

If you already have the zwave add-on installed (How did you install it?) Then uncheck the “use supervisor add-on” box.

Thanks, Petro, for creating this guide. Even though it’s older, I followed it and was able to migrate from Z-wave 1.4 to JS. Had a couple of hiccups along the way - for example, after installing the JS integration I didn’t wait long enough for all entities to be learnt and ended up removing and re-installing it. I almost reverted to my older (5.13) Hassos but got busy (fortuitously) and realized entities were being learnt slowly. So, I let it settle overnight and by morning I had 170 entities in HA.

My only issue so far is with 2 (out of 3) CO/Smoke detectors that aren’t reporting their capabilities correctly. One of them has smoke status but is missing CO status and the other one hasn’t reported anything at all and has no entities associated with it. At this point, I’m inclined to simply remove and re-learn them.

Regards

Wake them up manually, or do a reinterview