Switching from Zwave 1.4 (Deprecated) to Zwave JS

This guide is for switching from Zwave 1.4 to Zwave JS.

Preparation

In home assistant.

1. Browse to Developer Tools.

2. Click on the template tab

3. Paste the following code into the template section.

{%- for node, zstates in states | selectattr('attributes.node_id', 'in', range(1000)) | groupby('attributes.node_id') %}
    {{ node }}:
      {%- for s in zstates %}
      - {{ s.name }}
        {{ s.entity_id }}
      {% endfor %}
    {%- endfor %}

4. Copy the results and paste them to a text file for safe keeping. You’ll reference this at a later time.

Migration

1. Locate your device and network_key. If you don’t already know them, they will be in a hidden file within your configuration folder.

device - This is the path for the USB Stick
    network_key - This is the key used when adding a secure node.

1.1 Browse to /config/.storage/
    1.2 Open core.config_entries with a text editor.
    1.3 Search for Zwave in the file.
    1.4 Inside that section will be a path to a usb device and a key. The usb device will look something like /dev/ttyACM0 or /dev/serial/by-id/usb-<bunch of numbers>. The key will have the format 0xD3, 0x05, 0x0A, etc.

2. Save the device and network_key to a text file for later use.

3. Remove Zwave 1.4 from HA.

This requires you to delete it from the integrations in the UI

or

Delete it from configuration.yamlThis of course depends on how you integrated it.

4. Reboot your entire system.

These steps are needed because the zwave 1.4 is tightly integrated with home assistant. Without restarting the hardware, home assistant keeps holding on to the zstick.

5. Install Zwave JS addon.

6. Add the copied device and network_key from the .storage files into the Zwave JS configuration. Remove the 0x’s and the commas and spaces from the network key, so 0x1A, 0x23, 0x5D becomes 1A235D.

7. Watch the logs and wait for it to fully start up.

8. Fix all ‘unknown’ devices by waking them up. No need for a refresh node, just wake them up.

9. Install Zwave JS integration and see what you have.

(optional but this is what I did)

7.1. Delete Zwave JS integration (I did this because names were unknown in HA still)
    7.2. Restarted Zwave JS after waking all devices.
    7.3. Install Zwave Js Integration and see what you have.
    7.4. Go to Step 7.1 if things aren’t where you want them.

10. Rename Devices using the text file as a reference from the Preparation #4 step. This is the most time consuming step

40 Likes

Hello !

For those (like me) who did not set a network_key, you can get the generated one in the file /config/.storage/core.config_entries

Hope it can help… :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Can anyone tell me what format the network key needs to be in for the zwave js server addon? The original ozw format of 0x or is it like zwave js to mqtt where it’s just the 32 bits?

I’m pretty sure I saw in one of the github discussions it can be either format.

Apparently, the zwave js add-on converts the key to the correct format for you either way you enter it.

try it and see?

Where do I get the device?

Well that would make sense because they both seemed to work! But the interface right now doesn’t show any status for the connection being secure or not so I wasn’t sure

Didn’t helped me. Where to find device and network key? Not found in string from template. No path /config/.storage from the 1st reply. This guide is not working.
I found from information in system, that my device path is maybe /dev/ttyACM1, it shows an error in next step. But it looks that is working.

1 Like

It’s in your current zwave configuration. I haven’t used v1.4 in years, I was hoping people who use it would update the guide.

1 Like

How do you wake them up?

depends on the device. Consult the device manual and find out how to wake it up.

Most devices have a periodic wake scheduled so in time they will show up.

Okay. @brotherseb is right on the location of the file where you can get the values you need. Keep in mind, that this starts in /config, not the config that you are used to playing in when editing yaml files.

Once you get that open, you are looking for network_key and usb_path

So:

cat /config/.storage/core.config_entries | grep network_key
cat /config/.storage/core.config_entries | grep usb_path

Should return the two values that you need to enter in the config section when you install the add-on.

The path is hidden but you should still be able to open it in an editor if you type the path into the editor.
For me I found the following

"domain": "zwave",
                "title": "Z-Wave",
                "data": {
                    "network_key": "0xA5, 0xD8, 0x64, ....
                    "usb_path": "/dev/ttyAMA0"
                },

Now you need to convert 0xA5, 0xD8… to A5D8…

Hope this helps.

Thank you. How do I tell which devices are unknown?

Sorry. I’m trying to learn and add what I learn here.

I didn’t translate and just pasted it as-is.

They’ll show up as unknown in your device list.

You don’t need to. It accepts both methods.

But, I cannot get the device list until I install the integration, correct? (again, want to make sure I am doing things in the right order…)

Correct, which is why I wrote steps 7.1 to 7.4, it’s a cyclical process. Either way, you should be watching the logs on first startup. If you’re having issues because the current zwave_js implementation is lacking, then I suggest you try the ZwaveJS2MQTT route as it has a nice UI. You’ll end up in the exact same position but you’ll see a list of devices prior to adding the integration.

I don’t suppose there is an easy way to tell which device is which without going around and flipping them off an on with the app to tell which is which? (IOW, in 1.4, the exported stuff was by Node xx, but most of the things in zwavejs says in-wall smart dimmer or things like that.

Thank you.

If you performed the preparation steps, it would have made a list of your current network based on the node ID. Then in the integration, click on a device and it’ll list a node_id at the top

Perfect! Thank you.