Switching HA Instances on iOS

I have two buildings (house and a barn) and I have a Raspberry Pi running Home Assistant in each one. I’m finding the three-finger-swipe very awkward and frustrating to switch from one instance of HA to the other on my iPhone. Sometimes I end up, while trying a swipe, hitting a control by accident and I always have to swipe 5 or 6 times to make it actually work like it should.

Is there another way to switch between instances of HA on the same LAN on iOS than the three finger swipe? It’s quite frustrating!

I didn’t know abut the 3 finger swipe. Just tried it - works sometimes but, as you said, sometimes it presses things instead (my fat fingers, probably).

Either way, here is the ‘other’ way.

➜ settings
➜ companion app
➜ select the server (should be at the top of that page)

Let me know this works for you.

I don’t think it’s fat fingers. Apple tries to keep controls so simple that sometimes they end up with absurd and counter-intuitive controls. (For example, in Safari, on mobile devices, the controls vanish as you start scrolling down a page. To get them to reappear, you have to scroll up. While this works, how the heck is anyone supposed to know that without reading about it or being told? And you can’t use a setting to keep the controls on screen.) I find the swipe controls, whether one finger or three or anything else, a problem with certain iPhone cases. True, you can blame the case design, but it’s also a lack of insight and limited view from Apple. You have to swipe from the very edge and that can be hard with a case on the phone. Short sighted, inconvenient, and an example of Apple looking simple but being a pain.

Okay, end of editorial - but I don’t think it’s you or me. I think it’s poor desgin.

Yes, thank you! That works!

In all honesty, it could be simpler. I would think touching the server name at the top of the page would be a logical place to have a drop-down menu listing all servers so it can be picked in 1 touch instead of four (I’m including the “Activate” button once you pick the server.)

Thank you!

1 Like