SX1509 for controlling relays + DS18B20 as thermostat

First of all I’d like to say hello to whole community. I’ve watched many projects using Home Assistant and I was amazed by it power.

Now I think it’s time for me to finally start using it.
I’m just starting my adventure with Home Assistant, but before I buy equipment for mu next project I’d like to ask some very basic questions.

I plan to use DS18B20 as temperature sensors for all rooms in house. I found topic on how to configure them, so I think I will handle it.
For controlling relays I want to use SX1509 from sparkfun (because I must have 16 relays and I want to use I2C), but I can’t find anything on how to use it.
I found some tutorials for arduino, but nothing helpful for raspberry and nothing for Home Assistant.

My question is: would it be possible to control relays using SX1509 board using Home Assistant? Or communicate wiith device over I2C.
I’d like to plug that directly into Raspberry Pi.
My first thought was to use Wemos and communicate via MQTT, so that Wemos will control relays, but I want to avoid unneeded components.

Ideally I would like to define 16 switches that I could use with for example Generic Thermostat

As I wrote before I’m very new to Home Assistant, so please forgive my lack of knowledge.
Any advice is more than welcome.