Sylvania Smart+ WiFi

I’ve been trying to make some progress through this with the Sylnvania Smart+ WiFi bulbs that I have… One thing I am really confused about – when the bulb is in pairing mode, it has no WiFi configuration on it. How is the Tula-CLI suppose to be able to find the bulb when it’s not on the WiFi Network my computer is on?

I know the sylvania app does find the bulb in pairing mode – but this confuses me as to how just as much :wink:

Running the Tula-CLI link command with the proper API keys and secrets – i can see it sending SMARTLINK packets out, but nothing seems to come back in (or devices found rather). Not sure what I’m missing here.

@ChrisWeiss The Sylvania Bulbs are using the WB8P Tuya Module and therefore are not compatible with Tasmota. Tasmota is explicitly for ESP8266 devices.

1 Like

@Q001 you want to make sure that your computer is on the same network that you will be joining your Smart Bulb on to. The actual network doesn’t matter for the pairing process. As I understand it, the pairing process actually occurs via direct communication. The Tuya-CLI will broadcast out using your WiFi Card and exchange information with a bulb that is in pairing mode. The information exchange will give the bulb the network information and then it will find the bulb on the network.

Yeah - after enough tinkering I was finally able to get them to register in Tuya developer – and then was able to import the bulb via the local Tuya repo… But I couldn’t control it for the life of me. Keys and IDs were correct (checked 'em numerous times and it would fair to import when wrong). After hours I finally gave up and returned those 4 bulbs. Have some LUMIMAN bulbs coming in. Hoping they are a bit better.

following to see how this turns out, I used “linking a tea device with smart link” method and got them to connect and register, but can’t control them, similar issues. Past the return window but would really like to get these bulbs working! Its interesting that this product is walled off from Tuya/Smart Life even though the lights are based off of that.

Quick update – Returned the Sylvania bulbs and did purchase the LUMIMAN bulbs. These work SOOO much better than the sylvania ones. I was able to easily add them to the TuyaSmart app (instead of the app the instructions said to use). From there I was able to use the default Tuya integration in HA, give it my login credentials for Tuya and the devices showed up.

The don’t come across with the correct feature set, so I did have to modify the entity config for each bulb and change the feature from a 3 to 19.

Only drawback to this is that controlling the bulbs in VERY sluggish at times. Next I’ll have to work on trying to use the Local Tuya Repo. Hopefully that goes smoother this time.

Okay. Tried to use Smart Link, but getting this error:

× Device(s) failed to be registered!
Error: permission deny
    at OpenAPI._client.got_1.default.extend.hooks.afterResponse (C:\Users\Kende\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\@tuyapi\cli\node_modules\@tuyapi\link\node_modules\@tuyapi\openapi\dist\api.js:68:31)
    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (C:\Users\Kende\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\@tuyapi\cli\node_modules\got\dist\source\as-promise.js:87:38)
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:97:5)

Has anyone else gotten this? Has anyone else worked around this?

@KTibow my guess is that you don’t have the necessary permissions in Windows. I believe the Tuya API needs to be able to control the Network Stack so you most likely need to open a Terminal with Administrative Privileges.

I ran it on a Mac and didn’t have any issues.

Ended up returning them and buying some NiteBird ones, but thanks for the tip.

What integration are you using with the NiteBird bulbs?

LocalTuya for the ones that work, some randomly don’t work, or are on the extender’s wifi, and for those I use Tuya cloud

I tried too, but I am getting this error ?

Error: Timed out waiting for devices to connect.
    at TuyaLinkWizard.linkDevice (C:\Users\krona\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\@tuyapi\cli\node_modules\@tuyapi\link\index.js:117:17)
    at runMicrotasks (<anonymous>)
    at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)
    at async link (C:\Users\krona\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\@tuyapi\cli\lib\link.js:47:19)

Can someone pls help me ?

You’re using the sylvania bulbs and are getting these problems, right?

Well I am using the LedVance bulbs but I think they are the same.

What method are you using?

The tuya-cli link one. I have reset my bulbs a couple of times and deleted them from the app. Do you have any idea what I could do ?

I’ve got the same problem, Sylvania Wifi bulbs, and I can’t get them connected to HA / LocalTuya. I’ve tried tuya-cli (on both Windows 10 and Fedora Linux), and basically everything from this page. Any troubleshooting ideas would be appreciated! Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the same issue.

Error: Timed out waiting for devices to connect.
at TuyaLinkWizard.linkDevice (C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules@tuyapi\cli\node_modules@tuyapi\link\index.js:117:17)
at runMicrotasks ()
at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)
at async link (C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules@tuyapi\cli\lib\link.js:47:19)

Opening this file in VSCode I see:

Could not find a declaration file for module ‘@tuyapi/link’. ‘c:/Users/user/AppData/Roaming/npm/node_modules/@tuyapi/cli/node_modules/@tuyapi/link/index.js’ implicitly has an ‘any’ type.
Try npm i --save-dev @types/tuyapi__link if it exists or add a new declaration (.d.ts) file containing declare module '@tuyapi/link';ts(7016)

When I run ‘npm i --save-dev @types/tuya_link’ I get:

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules@tuyapi\cli>npm i --save-dev @types/tuyapi_link
npm ERR! code E404
npm ERR! 404 Not Found - GET https://registry.npmjs.org/@types%2Ftuyapi_link - Not found
npm ERR! 404
npm ERR! 404 ‘@types/tuyapi_link@*’ is not in the npm registry.
npm ERR! 404 You should bug the author to publish it (or use the name yourself!)
npm ERR! 404
npm ERR! 404 Note that you can also install from a
npm ERR! 404 tarball, folder, http url, or git url.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\npm-cache_logs\2021-05-10T02_04_18_760Z-debug.log

In the debug log it appears to run properly up until:

2355 verbose stack HttpErrorGeneral: 404 Not Found - GET https://registry.npmjs.org/@types%2Ftuyapi_link - Not found
2355 verbose stack at C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\npm\node_modules\npm-registry-fetch\check-response.js:134:15
2355 verbose stack at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)
2355 verbose stack at async Arborist.[nodeFromEdge] (C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\npm\node_modules@npmcli\arborist\lib\arborist\build-ideal-tree.js:947:19)
2355 verbose stack at async Arborist.[buildDepStep] (C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\npm\node_modules@npmcli\arborist\lib\arborist\build-ideal-tree.js:893:11)
2355 verbose stack at async Arborist.buildIdealTree (C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\npm\node_modules@npmcli\arborist\lib\arborist\build-ideal-tree.js:218:7)
2355 verbose stack at async Promise.all (index 1)
2355 verbose stack at async Arborist.reify (C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\npm\node_modules@npmcli\arborist\lib\arborist\reify.js:135:5)
2355 verbose stack at async Install.install (C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\npm\lib\install.js:137:5)
2356 verbose statusCode 404
2357 verbose pkgid @types/tuyapi_link@*
2358 verbose cwd C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules@tuyapi\cli
2359 verbose Windows_NT 10.0.19042
2360 verbose argv “C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe” “C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\npm\bin\npm-cli.js” “i” “–save-dev” “@types/tuyapi_link”
2361 verbose node v16.1.0
2362 verbose npm v7.12.0
2363 error code E404
2364 error 404 Not Found - GET https://registry.npmjs.org/@types%2Ftuyapi_link - Not found
2365 error 404
2366 error 404 ‘@types/tuyapi_link@*’ is not in the npm registry.
2367 error 404 You should bug the author to publish it (or use the name yourself!)
2368 error 404 Note that you can also install from a
2369 error 404 tarball, folder, http url, or git url.
2370 verbose exit 1

I’m not sure if the file should be converted from CommonJS to E96, but that is also flagged in VSCode. I’m not sure if the json files need to be edited to deal wit the @type modules or if I need to “add a new declaration (.d.ts) file containing declare module '@tuyapi/link';ts” as suggested in VSCode. I’m also not sure that it’s not just a bad link “https://registry.npmjs.org/@types%2Ftuyapi_link”. I got nowhere today, but I do feel like I’m learning nonetheless. Any input is appreciated.

1 Like

Raise an issue over at the right repo if there’s a problem.

I hope someone can help this noob. When running the tuya-cli link how do you determine “your api key”? I cannot find it on the iot Tuya site for the life of me.