Synch lights to Spotify

Hi,
I’m looking for a blueprint, or other method, to have my lights either change randomly to the music I play on Spotify, or that a scene is selected when I play a certain genre or playlist.
I noticed some conversations about it, but I didn’t find a clear solution yet.

Any advise or tips?

Thanks!

Spotify Integration creates a media_player entity. The entity’s state is important to figure out, if something is playing or not. The attributes contain futher informations, like

• media_content_id: (spotify track id)
  • media_content_type: music
  • media_title
  • media_artist
  • media_album_name
  • media_track (not sure, if track in playlist or on album)
  • media_playlist

So, in your automation blueprint you may use the state change to: playing as trigger, or an change in attribute media_title.

I don’t see any information on the genre, though.

Yeah, I noticed these. Thanks, I’ll tinker with this.

I’m using node red, but am doing something very similar with lights.

use case for me is when i come home after work around dinner (after 6pm) and i open my front door, that open switch triggers a certiin “dinner” playlist i have set in spotify, turns on dining light and RGB lights to a certin color (cool white) it also adjusts my media players volume…in this case i’m using logitech media server, but whatever your using would be fine…picture of the flow below to give a visual

1 Like

I don’t have a blueprint but I use the color extractor integration to switch the lights based on album art:

service: color_extractor.turn_on
data:
  color_extract_url: '{{ states.media_player.home_mini.attributes.entity_picture }}'
  entity_id: light.yeelight_color_0x0000000005e768aa
  brightness_pct: 50
  transition: 3
3 Likes

Other method here that I have used for a very long time.
Purchase ilightshow app on google play I think it was less than $7
I start spotify on my phone then start I light show and go to another device and have it take over play so whats playing on spotify but on a better sound system all while my phone still passes along now playing data to I light show.
I have only tested with hue bulbs but I know support for other bulbs has been added. and with their spotify linking they sync different lights to change with the beat its like your own personal rave better than any other app I tried

I don’t know if this will help anyone but I made a working python script that links Spotify to a TP-Link Kasa SmartBulb and change color to the music data from Spotify’s API.

I just started my adventure into HA today as now I’m up more smart devices and discovered my daughters really enjoy changing the colors and talking to Alexa. I’m personally going to be working on developing a new method to use what I made to work with any brand device hence my journey in HA.

I am am an ameteur though and this was my first big project so if there’s any other dev’s here that have suggestions to improve what I have and/or have an idea that could help integrate these other brands please shoot me a message. (I bought some cheap Tuya bulbs without knowing about their cloud service lock thinking I’d save some money for light entertainment for the kids)

Link for Python Script

check this appdaemon available on HACS

Hi @turnupthebassto11,

Does your script sync/change the light colours according to the tune of the song or it just changes once per song ?

Ok so I got this to work by:

• Buying the app iLightShow for my phone (10$, one time)
  • Setting up an emulated hue bridge on HA
  • BOOM

I did this recently too. iLightShow is what I missed most from when I had all my bulbs on the Hue hub (now z2m). I need to run in Legacy mode for any decent performance, but that’s OK. The effects don’t need to be perfect, really just looking for dynamic ambient lighting.

I would still like an option that’s native to Home Assistant to automate activation…or at least not need to use my phone. Excited to check out the AppDaemon option posted earlier.