Synchronize Ring Alarm Keypad v2 with Alarmo

Basically right. I would leave this automation off until you’re ready to have the keypad switch back to normal operation, set it to the appropriate mode, then turn this automation back on to resume tracking Alarmo’s state. It’s a bit finicky (which is exactly why I don’t want to try to add any state-tracking).

I see, but if I don’t directly re-enable it, then I can’t use the keypad to disarm the fire alarm.
I’m testing now with this idea, and it seems that one time it is faster to disable it and call the fire alarm mode to the panel and the other time it isn’t. But then still is able to set the mode to fire. Strange bc then I don’t see the reason to even have it disable the automation. But it might be changing to fire bc I’m spamming the X button on the keypad as I want to stop the sound so I don’t wake up sleeping people atm. I will test this out more later in the day!

Edit: I’m just thinking I can add my own js listener for disabling when the code + disarm is entered. And manually setting the state from alarmo to triggered. That’s probably what you meant. Will try this in the morning :smiley:

Can you use this keypad without the ring alarm unit? I’m a bit confused when reading this

“ A few folks asked for a Blueprint for the automations necessary to synchronize the keypad with an alarm_control_panel . I’ve finally got that in a state I like, so here it is.”

Yes, it works perfectly fine with HA (and required zwave dongle)

I setup Alarmo using a ring v2 keypad using this blueprint. Alarmo imported into homebridge and in the iOS home app. However I cannot get the alarm system to arm from my phone. I attempted to edit the config.yaml file with this

homekit:
- filter:
include_domains:
- alarm_control_panel
entity_config:
alarm_control_panel.alarmo:
code: 1234

and also attempted with alarm_control_home. The keypad just flashes and will not arm when I use it from the iOS home app. Can anyone assist with this?

I tried to follow the instructions here, but have had no luck.

You’ll probably have better luck asking on the main Alarmo thread. The keypad, driven by this blueprint, just reflects the current state of Alarmo.

Hello, I’m a new HA user coming from Smarttings 2 weeks ago. Till now everything OK, even with my Ring Keypadd v2, Alarmo and the amazing blueprint from ImSorryButWho. So congratulations. You saved a lot of time to a lot of people.

I only wanted to ask here if following conditions can be improved:
I have motion sensors to switch-on lights and also configured in Alarmo only when Armed Away. The thing is that motion sensors do not switch-on lights while Entry Delay is counting down neither in Armed Away, nor in Armed Home.
This way, when I open the door and Entry Delay starts counting, I have to enter home and entering the pin code in the dark, then motion sensors start to work turning lights on.
I’d like motions sensors turning lights on even while Entry Delay counting.

Thanks in advance for support on this.

Hi @bernfp,

It doesn’t sound like this blueprint is involved in your issue. In the interest of not derailing the thread, could I ask you to start a new thread in the Configuration category? If you DM me the link to your new thread, I’ll be happy to try to help you out over there.

Hi @ImSorryButWho
After some testing, I agree, it seems to be related to Alarmo.
At the moment, I fixed the issue with additional automation “When entry/exit delay… light on”
Thanks for your interest and again congratulation for the blueprint.

I connect mine Ring keypad 4AK1SZ with Firmware: 1.8.0 and strangely enough the keypad code enter events has event_type: 1 instead of 2, I’m pretty sure I pressed checkmark button after finish entering the code.
Does that mean I need to upgrade the firmware of the keypad? If so, how can I do it without Ring base station?

Event type 1 is sent when the key cache is full. I suspect you’re using an unusually long code. You should increase the size of the key cache - see this post and the next couple of posts in that thread.

It should be possible to upgrade the firmware on the keypad, but Ring doesn’t make firmware updates available outside their closed system. But the only major firmware difference we’ve noticed between 1.8 and 1.15 is that 1.15 also reports motion sensor events.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight, yes that is exactly same as the problem I’m facing however since I’m running Z-Wave JS(Non-UI) addon it seems really painful to migrate to Z-Wave JS UI addon:

And it seems Z-Wave JS(Non-UI) is not offering an option in UI to change KeyCacheSize…

I understand. Looks like you can do it directly from HA - in the developer tools, call the zwave_js.set_value service like so:

service: zwave_js.set_value
data:
  command_class: "111"
  property: keyCacheSize
  value: 8
target:
  device_id: d3b1a89bf6937f9ed9c385839e792025

Substituting in the device_id for your keypad, or switching that to entity_id and picking any of the many entities exposed by the keypad. And setting the value to the value you need - pick something longer than the code you’re using.

1 Like

Thanks a ton! Yes this solved my problems, I think it would be great if you can add an option to your blueprint for configuring the length of the keycode easily?

- service: zwave_js.set_value
      target:
        device_id: !input keypad
      data:
        command_class: "111"
        property: keyCacheSize
        value: !input keycodeLength

Thanks again!
Regarding firmware upgrade I think I’ll be looking into buying a second hand base station?
Not sure if the charging port on the keypad can be used for firmware upgrading,

@ImSorryButWho
Sorry for bothering you but I recognize that the bypass if a sensor is open comes in after the exit delay. What I saw in many videos (I guess the ring alarm) is, that the bypass will trigger before the exit delay starts. That would be better than after the exit delay.

Is there a way to change this?

Any state changes or tracking like that are handled by Alarmo’s logic – all this blueprint does is reflect what Alarmo is doing to the keypad. If there’s some logic that needs changing, it’ll have to be changed there, not here.

That said, Alarmo already behaves this way. Look at the advanced settings for the sensor you’re having trouble with. Is “Use Exit Delay” turned on? If so, Alarmo assumes this is a sensor that’s normally triggered by someone leaving (e.g. a motion sensor covering the area around the door, or the door itself), so of course it won’t throw an error if it’s triggered when you’re trying to leave. Turn that setting off for sensors that you want arming to immediately fail if they’re open.

1 Like

You are absolutely right! THX!

Just FYI. I made the switch from non-UI to UI a week or two ago and it was completely painless. Just make sure you follow the steps exactly as listed in the link.

I will say that I didn’t have that many zwave devices added to my stick when I made the switch, but I don’t see why that would make a big difference.

I guess there’s always the chance you might have to re-pair a couple items but it’s not like you would be starting your zwave setup from scratch or anything.

Fabulous blueprint! Thank you for putting this together. You’ve helped me save so much time configuring our home alarm. Two Ring v2’s with V2.0.0 firmware working perfectly :+1:

Just a thank you for the Blueprint. I thought I’d made a mistake, got in a hurry. My zooz 800 stick showed up today, already had a keypad, I couldn’t resist the price for $25. Added the zooz, keypad paired easy enough, the hurry part or I think, was I integrated it with Z-wave-js. Maybe not a mistake.:person_shrugging: Nothing broken, it works with Alarmo. Thank you again!