Synology Docker and Cast problems

@BeardedConti @fredrike Hi guys, sorry to bother, but I have an issue with my HomeAssistant running in Docker. Since 2-3 days, the Google Chromecasts, Mini’s and Display are no longer seen by HA. I have not changed anything network related. Not in my router (Archer C9) and nothing in Synology. If I go to Integrations and try to add Google Cast - it tells me that it does not find anything, although I have 2 chromecasts (active), 4 mini’s and a google home - all active in the network. All Google devices and NAS/HA docker are in the same network, no subnetworks. I do not know how to approach this.
HA is 109.6, Docker version of HA is: 20200330-1. In Docker Network I have 1 network - host - under which are listed: homeassistant, hassio_multicast and addon_15ef4d2f_esphome; hassio which contains: addon_core_configurator, hassio_audio, hassio_cli, hassio_dns, hassio_supervisor; and bridge which contains only hassio_supervisor.
I tried stopping/restarting HA from webrowser and from Docker - no success.

I am lost at this point. All of a sudden the Google devices do not work anymore. Any ideas, please?

@lostprophet I would suggest this is a generic HA issue rather than being specific to the Synology version particular if you haven’t changed anything on the synology. As such you might get more help from posting a new thread in the forum.

Have you tried manually adding your chromecast device through the configuration.yaml - and possibly turning on debug logging if this doesnt work.

1 Like

Hi @Eoin - thank you for the fast reply.
I have added the devices manually:

#Cast devices:
    - host:
    #- host: 192.168.0.
    - host:
    - host:
    - host:
    - host:
    - host:

and now in Integrations - Google Cast appears - but without any devices :frowning: - How can I add them? Is there any way?

No idea :frowning:
However, try turning debug logging on for cast then restart HA to see if it turns anything up:

  default: info
    cast: debug

I have added the debug log you sent, but nothing obvious appears in the logs regarding cast.

2020-05-18 13:59:10 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up cast
2020-05-18 13:59:10 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of domain cast took 0.0 seconds.
2020-05-18 13:59:11 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Setting up media_player.ps4
2020-05-18 13:59:11 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Setting up media_player.plex
2020-05-18 13:59:11 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Setting up media_player.samsungtv
2020-05-18 13:59:11 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Setting up media_player.cast
2020-05-18 14:00:30 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up tts
2020-05-18 14:00:30 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of domain tts took 0.0 seconds.
2020-05-18 14:00:30 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up hassio
2020-05-18 14:00:30 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of domain hassio took 0.0 seconds.
2020-05-18 14:00:30 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Home Assistant initialized in 90.07s
2020-05-18 14:00:30 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Starting Home Assistant
2020-05-18 14:00:30 INFO (SyncWorker_14) [homeassistant.components.zeroconf] Starting Zeroconf broadcast
2020-05-18 14:00:30 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Timer:starting

that’s all regarding cast from the logs

Do you have Audio Station installed?
I still think there is an issue with Docker sockets/API - but it’s above my knowledge on how to debug further.

Did this by any chance happen after you upgraded to 0.109.x version?
I have sam problem and even opened ticket for it.
There is a workaround and documentation on this integration will be changed, but from version 0.109 you will have to make sure that:

  • google devices are in same subnet as your Home Assistant
  • mDNS is working as it should

If you wonder what has changed, main difference is that Google changed firmware on it’s devices and now required mDNS to work.
You can do following:

  • check that your firewall on Synology is not blocking mDNS ports:

    Last row is for Google devices

  • check that devices are using same subnet - for ex. 192.168.10.x - as your HA

  • make sure HA is running in host mode (and it does if you are using hassio)

You can read more info on this ticket.

1 Like

Hi @BeardedConti - thank you so much for your great imput.
So, I think I solved it - In Synology - Control Panel - Info Center - I had the Bonjour Printer Broadcast service disabled. Once enabled - miracle - all Google Cast devices showed up. I restarted HA - they are here - and working again. Also in same Control Panel - Security - Firewall - I enabled it and added ports 5353 and 1900 UDP traffic All Allowed as you mentioned above, just to make sure.

For now it seems that all my Cast devices are back working. I will monitor it and report if it breaks again.


Thanks for info. Was having this issue with my HA setup on Synology… was sure is it related to mDNS but it was the Synology DIskstation firewall. Thanks again :wink:

1 Like